cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magic lantern, the Canon 7D firmware 2.0.5?

walmirribeiro
Contributor

Hello,
Anyone know if there is already informing the magic lantern, the Canon 7D firmware 2.0.5?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With my 5D3 I had both firmware versions on the memory card and then I could switch back and forth between versions whenever I wanted. Magic  Lantern now works with the latest 5D3 firmware so there is no need for that now.

The 7D still needs to be running 2.0.3 in order to run Magic lantern.

EDIT: If your camera had previous firmware versions, it is very easy to backdate and then later upgrade firmware versions.

If your 7D came new fron Canon with 2.0.5 installed there is a slight chance it won't backdate. I heard of one factrory new 5D3 owner who had some problems but it was never confirmed why he had problems. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Magic Lantern is not compatible with 2.0.5  

It is possible to backdate to 2.0.3 in order to run Magic lantern on your 7D.

Mike Sowsun

Hi, my understanding is that the 7D cannot be downgraded from firmware 2.0.5 to 2.0.3. Just read it on Canon's website, and on several other forums.

If you know of a way to do so that doesn't brick my 7D, please inform... I'm sure lots of other users out there would find this extremely helpful as well!

Lots of Magic lantern users report no problems in backdating their firmware.  Canon also says that you can't  backdate the 5D Mk III but here is a video showing it is possible.

Mike Sowsun

Thanks, Mike, going to try this on the 7D, seems pretty straightforward. Man... I sure wish more forum users were like you, sure makes the internet more reliable!

With my 5D3 I had both firmware versions on the memory card and then I could switch back and forth between versions whenever I wanted. Magic  Lantern now works with the latest 5D3 firmware so there is no need for that now.

The 7D still needs to be running 2.0.3 in order to run Magic lantern.

EDIT: If your camera had previous firmware versions, it is very easy to backdate and then later upgrade firmware versions.

If your 7D came new fron Canon with 2.0.5 installed there is a slight chance it won't backdate. I heard of one factrory new 5D3 owner who had some problems but it was never confirmed why he had problems. 

Mike Sowsun

I was able to backdate my 7D from firmware 2.0.5 to 2.0.3. My 7D was not a newer model or factory loaded with 2.0.5.

I then loaded the most recent firmware for Magic Lantern (magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jun30.7D203) onto my 7D with no problems whatsoever. Very simple, loaded it in the same manner as upgrading/backdating firmware.

Wow... there are a TON of useful features on Magic Lantern! Really worth the time taken to research and install.

Thanks for your assistance and assurance I was on the right path.

Dear MikeSowsun ,
My 7D had firmeware 2.0.3 , I updated to 2.0.5 , it is certain that I can go back to 2.0.3 ?

Use Eos Utility to downgrade your firmware or search for downgrade eos 7d at google.

Dear perfectionfoto  Once you have a result post here to let us know how it was .... Thanks.

Announcements