cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY EOS 30D works just fine until I put it on a tripod, then it won't take pictures. Any ideas?

jimocarroll
Contributor

I have had my 30D for some time now, and it has worked flawlessly.  Today, I tried mounting it to a tripod to take some pictures.  It will not release the shutter.  If I press the shutter release button, the indicators in the viewfinder all light up as usual, but the shutter will not release.  If I activate the built in flash, pressing and holding the shutter release eventually causes the flash to blink as though in red-eye prevention mode, but the shutter will not release at all.  Pressing the * button results in the flash firing.

The tripod is a Manfrotto model, which I have also had for some time and am using for the first time.  The lens is a zoom tnat came with the camera.  The camera is mounted mechanically to the tripod using a quick-release adaptor, also a Manfrotto product.  The quick release adaptor has been on the cemera for some time, and it has operated flawlessly until I mounted it on the tripod today.

There are no electrical connections that I am aware of between the tripod and the camera, unless there's some hidden feature of which I am unaware.  I have no remote shutter release, but planned to use the timed shutter release setting.  Both the timed and normal modes work flawlessly when the camera is hand-held, both modes work flawlessly, but when the camera is on the tripod, it won't take a picture.  I am flummoxed by this.  Neither the camera manual nor the Manfrotto tripod manual are any help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim Carroll

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi!

We just wanted to let you know that we don't recommend do-it-yourself repairs. So, if you’re experiencing a problem with your EOS 30D, it’s best to let a professional Canon Factory Service Center Technician do the work to keep you and your gear safe.

You can reach out to our friendly, U.S.-based support team at http://bitly.com/CanonSupport for some troubleshooting steps, and they can let you know the steps for service is necessary.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

And of course I know basic trouble shooting.

Read the manual under the Trouble Shooting page and send the camera to Canon repair center.

"Yes. Of couse a piece of rubber ring is hazardous to some. I agree. If one swallows it."  

What happens if they take it apart and touch something connected to the flash capacitor?  Law suit, most likely.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Rubber ring is for the tripod mount screw. It is not for insertion to inside the body. (and it's only one of the suggestions, right ?)

According to your theory, there may a risk shooting with camera mounting to a tripod and the flash capacitor inside the body circuit leaks and conducting high electric current to the tripod (or the mounting screws) and shock the camera user.  Really scary. Is that your assumption ?

If you have any experience opening up camera bodies at all, you should know that the flash capacitor is not located anywhere near to the bottom of the camera near the back cover. It is at the front near to the built in flash behind the front plate. It is not connected to the rear part of the circuit board.

Mind you, when one inserts a speedlight and when one touches the camera flash mount contacts and when the capacitor leaks, one gets electric shock. (really ? I doublt it) There is always a risk. And now I know why the parents ask their kids to stay away from electricity. hahaha

Very imaginative indeed. Do not touch a camera then.

May be it's time to dump my 7D2 which has a built-in flash on it. May be 5D and 1D series are safer to use. Hey, what about battery expolsion ? You make me worry.

Law suit ?  Canon - watch out. Cameras should be sealed complelely and yes, this is a spendid idea. Thank you.

My not so scary repair :

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Weird-polarized-view-on-older-Canon-DSLR-EOS-5D-DIY-sharing/m-... Disclaimer : Do not attempt to do it yourselves. Without proper training. electric shock may occur and cause death or injury. Just don't do it.

May be this camera is better. It doesn't have a capacitor that kills. It's my AE-1.20160116_120557.jpg

Yes "bad advice" is. the correct phrase.  "We just wanted to let you know that we don't recommend do-it-yourself repairs."

That is Canon's and my admonishment.

Telling someone you have no idea about to tear into his camera is no less than bad advice.  It is of little help to the OP how much experience you have.  How much does he have?

To the OP, anyway it isn't the tripod socket and it isn't the eye piece. There is something else going on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"To the OP, anyway it isn't the tripod socket and it isn't the eye piece. There is something else going on." 

I agree with that observation.  Have you tried turning off the lens Image Stabilization, if it has it? 

I think there is something you could be overlooking, and taking for granted.  If you can shoot handheld without any issues, what difference would sitting still on a tripod make?  It shouldn't make any difference.  Take a slow and careful, detailed look at what're doing.

>> Take a slow and careful, detailed look at what're doing.
Always good advice.  I have ordered an IR remote to use instead of the self-timer.  It's not here yet.
Work intervened, but I am going to resume troubleshooting when the IR remote gets here.
Thanks.
jim

"... open up the rear panel of the camera and investigate."   Smiley Surprised

I strongly advise against doing this.  Nothing but bad can happen.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yeah, alll of the above, and be sure to observe the MFD, minimum focusing distance, of your lens.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What happens when you take the camera off the tripod, hold it just above and try to shoot?

Announcements