cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 constantly freezing on movie mode

bigbrother
Enthusiast

Well this is... interesting. I've had my M50 for maybe four months and never shot video with it.

I tried tonight for the first time and I'm finding that almost immediately upon entering movie mode, the camera freezes. The image will freeze on the preview and even if I shut it off, the image will remain. I usually have to wait awhile or pop the battery out for it to truly turn off.

Even if I turn the camera back on when it's in movie mode, it freezes up and then switching to different modes (Av, etc.) does nothing. It just either freezes or doesn't change the modes, just goes into some weird semi-state where the viewfinder works but no information shows up on-screen.

I've tried swapping lenses.

I've tried updating to the latest firmware (1.10).

I'm about to try changing the movie settings but as it stands this sucks. As of last check, I'm in movie manual, 1080px29.97.

UPDATE II- No idea if this is anecdotal, but I tried bumping it down to 720p and it lasted a lot longer. Mind you almost none of this is being done while actually recording video. Literally just having the thing on is causing this!

UPDATE- Doing it on movie automatic as well.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11

@bigbrother wrote:

Just a quick update, I'm nearly certain it was the card. As mentioned, I tried other ones and no freezing, plus going into playback mode on the camera with the questionable card now sees it freezing for a sec or two till it shows me the images. I don't know if it's because the card is much fuller than before (and so it has to read more data) or what. I do know we bought it from Amazon direct from Amazon so I don't think it would be counterfeit. I'm guessing I'll just buy another one like this but have no clue...

Read the fine print.  If your selected vendor is out of stock, Amazon may substitute an alternate vendor to source your items.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ouch. That sucks. Do you know if the order, ex post facto, shows from where it came?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements