cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 constantly freezing on movie mode

bigbrother
Enthusiast

Well this is... interesting. I've had my M50 for maybe four months and never shot video with it.

I tried tonight for the first time and I'm finding that almost immediately upon entering movie mode, the camera freezes. The image will freeze on the preview and even if I shut it off, the image will remain. I usually have to wait awhile or pop the battery out for it to truly turn off.

Even if I turn the camera back on when it's in movie mode, it freezes up and then switching to different modes (Av, etc.) does nothing. It just either freezes or doesn't change the modes, just goes into some weird semi-state where the viewfinder works but no information shows up on-screen.

I've tried swapping lenses.

I've tried updating to the latest firmware (1.10).

I'm about to try changing the movie settings but as it stands this sucks. As of last check, I'm in movie manual, 1080px29.97.

UPDATE II- No idea if this is anecdotal, but I tried bumping it down to 720p and it lasted a lot longer. Mind you almost none of this is being done while actually recording video. Literally just having the thing on is causing this!

UPDATE- Doing it on movie automatic as well.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Updating the firmware is very risky to do with a malfunctioning camera.  The malfunction could tank the update, and turn the camera into a paperweight.

What type of memory card are you using?  If you are using a micro-SD card with an adapter, stop using.  Only use full size SD memory cards, and be sure to format them in the camera prior to first use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's this card here:

1.JPG

Also the firmware update succeeded without a hitch. That's odd though, I've never heard of a hardware device not using a firmware update as a first course of action when a bug appears. Usually seems to be one of the manufacture's first suggestions.

Do you have another full size SD card you can try in the camera? Maybe a smaller 16gb or 32gb capacity?

Also make sure you haven't set the camera to shoot in Hybrid Auto Mode.

@bigbrother wrote:

... That's odd though, I've never heard of a hardware device not using a firmware update as a first course of action when a bug appears. Usually seems to be one of the manufacture's first suggestions.

Did the information for the updated firmware indicate that it contained a fix for your specific problem?

@bigbrother wrote:

It's this card here:

[ DELETED LINK ]

Also the firmware update succeeded without a hitch. That's odd though, I've never heard of a hardware device not using a firmware update as a first course of action when a bug appears. Usually seems to be one of the manufacture's first suggestions.

You got lucky.  You reported that your camera keeps freezing up.  What if it froze in the middle of the update?  

Like I said, updating firmware can fix software issues.  Updating firmware does not repair broken hardware.

BTW, what type of card you using?  I have no plans to click on the link, which are not allowed in the forum, anyway.

bigbrother
Enthusiast

Well, I had a chance to try different memory cards today (albeit somewhat briefly) and I think that solved the problem! This leaves me a bit befuddled though. The original card was:

SanDisk 32GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card

I was of the understanding that these were pretty much the gold standard. What card should I be getting then? (Assuming that was the problem).

@bigbrother wrote:

Well, I had a chance to try different memory cards today (albeit somewhat briefly) and I think that solved the problem! This leaves me a bit befuddled though. The original card was:

SanDisk 32GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card

I was of the understanding that these were pretty much the gold standard. What card should I be getting then? (Assuming that was the problem).

....not when you buy them through Amazon.

Apparently it's not uncommon to find counterfeit memory cards being sold by unscrupulous vendors on Amazon and Ebay. It's best to buy from a local camera shop if possible or one of the big-box electronics stores, like Best Buy. Buying online from B+H Photo should be a safe bet as well.

Not that this is what your card looks like inside but this is what forum member Ray-UK found inside a knock-off generic SD card from one of his old cameras.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/SD-Card-surprise/m-p/298627/highlight/t...

bigbrother
Enthusiast

Just a quick update, I'm nearly certain it was the card. As mentioned, I tried other ones and no freezing, plus going into playback mode on the camera with the questionable card now sees it freezing for a sec or two till it shows me the images. I don't know if it's because the card is much fuller than before (and so it has to read more data) or what. I do know we bought it from Amazon direct from Amazon so I don't think it would be counterfeit. I'm guessing I'll just buy another one like this but have no clue...

Announcements