cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 auto power's off even when disabled

C-speed
Apprentice

Hello,

I am trying to use the M50 for Youtube live streams and I have it attached via HDMI to my Macbook. It's connected to aux power (DC outlet) and I have Auto Power Off disabled, Viewfinder Off disabled and Display Off set to the max of 30min. The M50 will not stay on past 30 minutes. It still turns itself off after 30min has elapsed.

Is there a way around this?

Thank you.

27 REPLIES 27

@C-speed wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to use the M50 for Youtube live streams and I have it attached via HDMI to my Macbook. It's connected to aux power (DC outlet) and I have Auto Power Off disabled, Viewfinder Off disabled and Display Off set to the max of 30min. The M50 will not stay on past 30 minutes. It still turns itself off after 30min has elapsed.

Is there a way around this?

Thank you.

No. The 30-minute limit is to keep the camera from being taxed as a video camera by certain jurisdictions that tax those more heavily than they do still cameras. If you need more than 30 minutes, you should buy a true video camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

thetechieguy
Apprentice

Did you find a solution for this? I got the same setup as you do...

@thetechieguy wrote:

Did you find a solution for this? I got the same setup as you do...

Did you not read the post above yours ?

Bob already gave you the correct answer.

Thank you for your kind concern - Yes I did indeed Bob's answer and he is 100% correct.

Its a forced software limitation due to classification. However, there is actually a way to do it - so all good!

@thetechieguy wrote:

However, there is actually a way to do it - so all good!

Well I'm sure other people would like to know about it, so would like to share the secret with the rest of us.

If you want to use the M50 as a Live Stream Camera, besides picking up the DSLR Capture Card; you need to download EOS Utility and turn on the 'LIVE VIEW'. That way the 'DISPLAY OFF = 30 Minutes" will be disabled.

Thank me by following me on www.facebook.com/reangkor

I realize this is an old post, but you're wrong. The M50 can stay on longer than the 30 minute preset. It's accomplished through applications that are freely available, as well as the basic EOS Utility; and no, staying on beyond 30 minutes does not tax the hardware. 

Not exactly sure what you mean, but I've been using this for the last 3 years on my live stream; here is how I do it:

1. Plug in the camera using a capture card
2. Plug in the camera using the provided cable
3. Download EOS Utility and open up Lens Correction **something something**
4. Set it to Manual focus and turn off ALL other UI (This is because it doesn't give "Clean" HDMI out, only way to achieve is to turn off those UI on the camera and AUTO FOCUS)
5. Set your Focus and you're done

@reamdyna wrote:

4. Set it to Manual Auto focus

Otherwise known as Oxymoron mode Smiley Wink

Announcements