Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

M50 Streaming Help

Hey everyone, I'm new here and looking for help. Over the past 6 months I've been trying to get my Canon M50 to work as a webcam for streaming and meetings on my Mac, but nothing seems to work. I'm kind of at my wits end. Anyone here think they could help me get things set-up and running?

Here's some of the things I've tried, but with no success:

• Elgato CamLink: Gets no signal from the camera, nothing shows up.

• Elgato Capture Card: tried this as an alternative, same result as the camLink.

• Camera Live: tried builds 9, 11, 13; camera is recognized, but nothing seems to happen.

• CamTwist: set the source to syphon, checked syphon server, but nothing appears.

• Canon Utility: Instacrashes nearly every time, but when I get a stable instance running the Live View is a big, grey square.

• OBS: added a video source with CamLink, Capture Card, and CamTwist, only nothing works. CamTwist renders as a black, empty square. Elgato solutions are blank as well.

• Streamlabs: same issues as OBS

System

• Canon M50, (2019)
  • Macbook Pro (2019)
  • Mac OS: Catalina 10.15.4

Cables:

• I'm using USB micro 2.0 for data transfer, as well as micro HDMI for the camlink.

• Same results as above wether I connect through my CalDigit hub or directly to my mac.

• I've bought several batches of cables, thinking maybe that's the problem. It's not.

M50 Camera:

• I noticed the camera screen stays on when connected, but for other people the screen goes black with a computer graphic.

• I've tried adjusting settings to video, manual, and aperture priority. Nothing works.

Also:

• I've tried this on two different 2019 Macs, both with similar results.

• I've swapped out all devices (twice) and cables, except for my camera.

Concerns/Questions

• Is there something I'm not doing correctly?

• Are there alternatives I should check out?

• Is my camera just broken?

Thanks in advance for your help.