cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 Hybrid Auto - When does the video begin?

Softbawl
Contributor

I have been experimenting with Hybrid Auto. The M50 is collecting 2 to 4 seconds of video before "snapping the photo".

I would have thought the video clip might be the 2 to 4 seconds after rather than before the photo. So, is the M50 collecting video during the duration of time while in Hybrid Auto? Or, might the video clip begin when the Auto Focus is registered and just prior to pressing the shutter? I got a few seconds of the sidewalk before raising the camera to my subject and pressing the shutter, which was a surprise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

Yes, it is anticipating and basically "buffering" the video as long as the camera's meter is active which happens anytime you half-press the shutter button and stays active for as long as you set in the menu, between 3 and 15-ish seconds. This feature does use more power so if you wont be using those clips or especially want to conserve battery then using the automatic or P mode would be better.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It always pays to read the manual

Untitled.jpg

Seems pretty useless to me.

Yes, I did read the manual and I understand the video precedes that pressing of the shutter. I am curious if the M50 is capturing video constantly in anticipation of my pressing the shutter. Seems litle a power drain?

Hi there,

Yes, it is anticipating and basically "buffering" the video as long as the camera's meter is active which happens anytime you half-press the shutter button and stays active for as long as you set in the menu, between 3 and 15-ish seconds. This feature does use more power so if you wont be using those clips or especially want to conserve battery then using the automatic or P mode would be better.

Thank you. Your explanation was the answer I was looking for!

Announcements