cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5 or M6 or M50

TheRogue
Enthusiast

Hi Guys. As subject line - I want something for a bit of general photography and maybe video. I'm usually attracted to price - that being that if its more expensive it must be better. But is this right in this case? There's a significant difference in price between the M5 and M6 and yet the M6 is the later product. And what about the M50? So... any thoughts?

36 REPLIES 36

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Depends on how much an EVF and better lens is worth to you. Only you can answer that.

Oh - I thought the lens mounts were the same, no?

They are, but the cameras come with a specific lens, some better than others:

M5 - 18-150 mm

M6 - 15 - 45 mm

M50 - 15-45 mm

Yeah my thought was to select a body and then review lenses seperately.

@TheRogue wrote:

Yeah my thought was to select a body and then review lenses seperately.

Personally I always look at the glass as my first concern. Primariily because lenses change less often and hold their price (much more than bodies) and bodies change and update very quickly.

If you are looking at the M-series there is a limited range of EF-M lenses, but if you get the EF to EF-M adaptor you can use all of Canon's EF lenses, offering much higher quality and faster glass.  That said, there is an ergonomic disadvantage to having a honking great lens on a small, light body.

If you want the M series, I would ask if you intend to do any serious telephoto (particularly stills) work: if that is so I would go with the M-5 or M-50 as they both have built in EVFs - using the EV against your brow to give 3 points of contact and support allows you a much more stable support than holding it with just two hands.  The M-5 is a higher-end unit for stills (but only has HD video), but the M-50 seems to have moved (at the cost of some stills features) more to the needs of videographers with 4K and a fully rotating LCD screen (the M-5's LCD has a much more limited range of travel and is virtually impossible to use for selfies on a tripod).  DPReview has a fairly good review of both bodies.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

You are right of course. The glass is the single most important thing. To be honest I only lean towards the best glass available. I have with all of my DSLR cameras. Getting the best M series lens would be the same, I suspect.  Is there like an equivelent to the L series, for the M?  I don't mean actual L series via adaptor.

I dont think I would be using my L series lenses on whichever M I get - simply because it would defeat the object of why I considering downsizing, to a point.

Your paragraph on the M series bodies is very useful, so thabk you for that. What you have said will help sway my decision I am sure.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@TheRogue wrote:

Hi Guys. As subject line - I want something for a bit of general photography and maybe video. I'm usually attracted to price - that being that if its more expensive it must be better. But is this right in this case? There's a significant difference in price between the M5 and M6 and yet the M6 is the later product. And what about the M50? So... any thoughts?

Is there any reason why all of the cameras you have listed are mirrorless?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TheRogue wrote:

Is there any reason why all of the cameras you have listed are mirrorless?  

Good point... {:-)

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Indeed there is. I currently use a 5D3, 28-70mm 2.8 2, 50mm 1.2 and 70-210mm f2.8 IS.  I am downsizing. I have considered a high quality compact but I've been there before and they always leave me feeling 'wanting'. I thought the M series was a good middle ground.

Announcements