cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5 or 80D?

SawyerTyler
Apprentice

I’ve got an M5 up for sale, and right now my top contender for a slight upgrade is the 80D. Would you switch?

I don’t have a big budget, and ideally I would get a 90D but I don’t have the money for that, so the 80D is the front runner. I’ve already got a Fuji for videography so this is purely my photography camera.

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I guess the question is what EF-M lenses do you have? What EF and EF-S lenses do you have?

EOS-M series..  sell it, all of it.

Then wait until you can afford the 90D

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@SawyerTyler wrote:

I’ve got an M5 up for sale, and right now my top contender for a slight upgrade is the 80D. Would you switch?

I don’t have a big budget, and ideally I would get a 90D but I don’t have the money for that, so the 80D is the front runner. I’ve already got a Fuji for videography so this is purely my photography camera.

What sort of pictures are taking that require or necessitate an upgrade?  I think the M Series bodies take really sharp photos with their native lenses.  I have an M3, and the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM is amazing.  Serves me well as a pocket camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have both the EOS M5 and the EOS 80D (and 90D).  On a specs basis the M5 is essentially the equivalent of the 80D, albeit in a smaller, mirrorless body.  For some reviews indicating their relationship see:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-M5-vs-Canon-EOS-80D or

https://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/80d/vs/canon/eos-m5/ or

https://digitalrev.com/2017/03/03/canon-eos-m5-vs-eos-80d-which-is-better/

One question I usually ask is, what is it about your current setup that is holding you back?   I use three M5's with the native EF-M lenses and find that they are capable of rendering great results.  However, I do not create videos or large, detailed prints.  The output is one of the most important things to consider when getting new gear.

As suggested a lot depends on the lenses you have invested in.  Considering that there is no adaptor to connect EF-M lenses to an EF or EF-S camera it would mean that if you have got native EF-M lenses they will be useless on the 80D or 90D.  On the other hand if you retain the M5 body, with the adaptor available,  you can mount EF lenses with no issues.  I have used the M5 with the excellent EF 70-300 IS USM MkII lens and it has rendered excellent results.

I would personally hold back a bit.  There are rumours of a bunch of EF-M lenses coming out and an M7, spec'd like the 90D that is possibly due out this year (depending on the disruptions from COVID).  If you wait, it is likely that Canon will release some lower-end R bodies in the coming year, along with cheaper RF lenses, and you can use EF lenses with their adaptor.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements