cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5 hand strap -- possible?

taueva
Contributor

I would like to add a hand strap to my M5 but all the ones I've found require a top lug with a slit, so none will attach to the tiny M5 lug. (Not even Canon has made one for this camera.) Has anyone found a brand or a way to attach the straps that are made for the larger lugs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@taueva wrote:

OK. I'll try.

BTW, The link you furnished shows exactly what my problem is.  Note the top part of the strap, it requires a slit-shaped lug to attach.

I don't see what you're talking about, but I have really bad eyes, so what I don't see doesn't mean anything.

Like I said, contact the product experts at B&H.  That's the first product I found.  Maybe they have something else..Their web site allows you to filter products as you browse, but the filters are not always perfect.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Maybe you could find one that screws into the tripod socket, like most of the harness-type straps do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I want one that connects to top and bottom. I've read way too many reviews of people who have lost their cameras after the bottom screw backed off (even soon after they just checked it).

@taueva wrote:

I want one that connects to top and bottom. I've read way too many reviews of people who have lost their cameras after the bottom screw backed off (even soon after they just checked it).

Those people were careless.  End of story.  The tripod screw is the strongest attachment point, but if you use an adapter, then use the attachment point on the adapter, so as not to stress the lens mount on the camera body with too much torque.

Anyway, that's for a shoulder strap. What I want is the hand strap to make my hand kind of connected to the camera. That requires a two-point connection.

@taueva wrote:
Anyway, that's for a shoulder strap. What I want is the hand strap to make my hand kind of connected to the camera. That requires a two-point connection.

What you want?

[EDIT]. BTW, they make wrist straps that connect to either the tripod socket, one of the traditional camera strap mounting points, or both.  Seeing how we cannot post links to the type of products you want, I suggest that you contact a retailier like B&H.  

I'm not looking for a wrist strap. I want a hand strap. It goes over the back of the hand so the weight of the camera for the right hand isn't only in the grip of the fingers, but is borne as well by the middle of the hand. For this you need the strap to go from the top of the camera , over the back of the hand, and then to the tripod attachment on the bottom. The problem is that every one I've seen attaches to the top by a very narrow strap that goes through a lug that has an opening slit of about a half inch long. The M5 has a small llug with a round opening of maybe a sixteenth of an inch.

@taueva wrote:

I'm not looking for a wrist strap. I want a hand strap. It goes over the back of the hand so the weight of the camera for the right hand isn't only in the grip of the fingers, but is borne as well by the middle of the hand. For this you need the strap to go from the top of the camera , over the back of the hand, and then to the tripod attachment on the bottom. The problem is that every one I've seen attaches to the top by a very narrow strap that goes through a lug that has an opening slit of about a half inch long. The M5 has a small llug with a round opening of maybe a sixteenth of an inch.

I know what you are looking for.  You dont' seem to understand what you're being told, though.  You're barking up the wrong tree around here.  You're asking for something that Canon does NOT MAKE.  

I have suggested that you consult with an online retailer like B&H Photo and Video.  They have product experts who can answer your questions.   You can browse their web site and find what you're looking for.  <----- HINT

I know Canon doesn't sell it. I said so way above. I'm hoping someone here has personal experience with a strap by some other manufacturer. Or, if one doesn't exist, how they modified or otherwise added to one of those with the too wide top strap so it would work with the M5. This type of info isn't likely to be found from a BW employee.

@taueva wrote:

I know Canon doesn't sell it. I said so way above. I'm hoping someone here has personal experience with a strap by some other manufacturer. Or, if one doesn't exist, how they modified or otherwise added to one of those with the too wide top strap so it would work with the M5. This type of info isn't likely to be found from a BW employee.

Actually, many of the "experts" are vendors of the equipment, or B&H employees trained by the vendors on their products.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024861-REG/accessory_power_grcmdg0100bkew_dual_grip_hand_sup...

You should not rule them out without as least giving them a tryout.  Their customer service is excellent.  I like the Black Rapid wrist straps that mount to the tripod mount better than that one.  I know nothing about that brand, but I know Black Rapid.

Announcements