cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5 connection to Sierra

gt4e
Contributor

My Canon EOS M5 doesn't connect to my iMac (MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.2). I would appreciate some help or advice. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How are you connecting? USB? If so turn off the wireless.

I use the USB that Canon shipped with the M5. SO I am going to turn off the WIFi. Are you talking about the wifi in the camera or the wifi in my iMac? wnat to make sure before I try! Thanks

@gt4e wrote:

I use the USB that Canon shipped with the M5. SO I am going to turn off the WIFi. Are you talking about the wifi in the camera or the wifi in my iMac? wnat to make sure before I try! Thanks

???  Disable Wi-Fi in the camera, for sure. 

I would hope that the iMac can figure out on its' own that something is plugged into one of its' ports.  Speaking of which, what type of port are you using on your iMac?  Don't you need an adapter to connect to your iMac?  What type are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Most iMacs still have standard USB ports.

This is the solution to resolve the lack of connectivity between the Canon M5 to the iMac through the USB cable supplied by Canon.

Just use the Image Capture app, found in the iMac Applications folder. This was suggested by other people. I just tried it. It worked perfectly, though a little slow. But it successfully transfered 120 RAW files from my camera to the iMac.

Until the software issues between the Mac Sierra ver 10.12.2 and the Canon camera are resolved (hopefully soon), this is the way to go. Thank you all for your help!

standard USB 2.0; no I don't need any adapter to connect to the Mac, just the Canon supplied USB cable. All my Canon cameras used to connect the same way to the same Mac. But it seems the latest Apple software between the Mac Sierra and the Canon M 5 is not communicating. btw I have spent a couple of hours talking to the Canon support people, and they never mentioned that the Sierra and Canon connections are not working, a fact I discovered after reading the messages here. 

Announcements