cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M Series Picture Profiles Confusion

csgaraglino
Contributor

I am new to Canon and jumped in with the M6. I was shooting this past weekend and noticed that the settings for Photos are the same as the setting for Videos. For example, if I am shooting a photo (Mode Tv) using the Landscape profile and switch to the Video Mode, that’s what is used for Videos. If I change the video profile to Neutral, then it changes it for Photo as well. This is the same for some of the other settings (White Balance) even when I change the shooting mode switch from Tv to Video and back.

I find this very odd, as each needs its own settings to perform correctly. So I am assuming that I am doing something wrong.

Chris Sgaraglino
Blog: The Outdoor Life
7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you mean Picture Styles?

They set different levels of sharpness, contrast, color enhancement. They are the same for still and movie mode on the cameras. Picture Styles are sort of like choosing a film type in the analog world. 

They do do not have any effect on camera control settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I understand how the profiles work. 

When shooting photos I use the Landsace (modified) Profile. That way my JPEGs have some adjustments to them and I can use those for simple social posts from my phone, and I have the RAW files for post processing in LR later. But for video I shoot completely Nutural so have all the data for processing when editing. 

Having to switch back back and forth is ridiculous to say the least, I would assume that Canon did not over look this point and that’s why I am asking as I must be doing something wrong. 

However, the lack of response has me a little worried!

Chris Sgaraglino

We are just volunteers. If you need immediate assistance, you should call Canon.

Frankly, I don't think many of us fool with the styles very much.

KV, I’m confused by your statement? I thought the idea of community forums was to toss out a question to the community and see what comes back. I was just clarifying my original question that JR answered.

As I stated, I am new to the Canon software format and frankly the whole Canon culture. I have been shooting for 30+ years with Nikon so I am trying to learn my way around a new OS and a different way another company thinks, it helps No problem e (people) do under expectations better. What seems obvious to one may not be so to another. That’s why these community forums exists, so people can ask a question and learn. But no one can learn from answers with attupitude and contemptment.

Chris Sgaraglino

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I think you could set the camera up to use Neutral Picture Style as a default setting and configure C1 setting to use Landscape Picture Style. Switch to C1 for your stills and back to another mode for video.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

JR, this is very helpful and give me a direction to pursue! Thank you!

Chris Sgaraglino

Canon has a video Picture Style you might want to try. 

https://global.canon/en/imaging/picturestyle/file/index.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements