Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Low audio on mic w/60D

New at DSLR (but old on DV and film) and noted audio on my Canon EOS 60D isn't great. I got a corded lav mic and tried two different methods; first lav into 60D and then used digital recorder by itself. Obviously digital recorder was excellent but the lav mic plugged into 60D was very low.

I tried shotgun mic and it worked reasonably ok on 60D.

All new to me so any comments welcomed on low audio problem.

Product Expert
Product Expert

Re: Low audio on mic w/60D

Hello Jaymack,

You probably need to adjust the sound recording level which will raise the audio recording level.  To do this, go into the Menu > Sound Recording function.  Switch Sound rec. to [Manual] and then press Set.  You would select Rec. level and look at the level meter while turning the <Quick Dial> to adjust the sound recording level.  You want the level adjusted so that the level meter sometimes lights up to the "12" (-12 dB) mark on the right for loudest sounds. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Low audio on mic w/60D

I did try that, but the audio off the 60D is notoriously poor, lots of hiss at any level, pretty much all the DSLR's have not great audio. I used a separate digital recorder which makes  a much cleaner audio track,