cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost manual control of exposure in Manual mode 5Dmk3

ResidentGood
Apprentice

Never changed any settings as far as I know. The day before I was shooting pictures with full manual control in manual mode. I put my camera away and when I picked it up again, Manual mode is now behaving like Automatic mode when trying to shoot pictures. It is auto exposing in the LiveView. I can see the exposure changing in LiveView as I move the camera around and I cannot change the ISO or the aperture. I can bring up the ISO menu and select different ISOs but the image does not change. When I spin the aperture control wheel, the F-Stop number changes on the display, but the blades in the lens do not move and nothing changes.

I still have full manual control when I switch to video mode, this only happens in picture mode.

Here's a short video which shows the issue I am having.

http://youtu.be/kQN-H2Qwsu4

EDIT: Just noticed something. It seems that the camera WILL shoot the picture with the settings I have selected, but will not show what that exposure looks like in the LiveView. When I go into picture mode the aperture stays wide open no matter what I do, I can look into the lens and see that the aperture blades are all wide open. If I set the aperture to F10, the exposure does not change in LiveView and the blades do not move, but when I press the shutter, the blades will jump into place for a split second to take the picture at F10 and then revert back to wide open. Same thing with the ISO. So I guess I do still have manual control, but it's not much good to me if I have no preview of what that exposure looks like in the LiveView.

?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

The blades stay wide open until the shot is taken. There is however a way to stop them down to see what things look like without taking the shot. The Depth of Field preview button is located on the side of the lens mount area of the body almost across from the release button. . According to my downloaded manual it's covered by the info on page 165.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

PLee
Enthusiast

Turn on exposure simulation in the shooting menu. It's in the far right red tab, fifth row down.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

The blades stay wide open until the shot is taken. There is however a way to stop them down to see what things look like without taking the shot. The Depth of Field preview button is located on the side of the lens mount area of the body almost across from the release button. . According to my downloaded manual it's covered by the info on page 165.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Your camera is working properly.  All modern DSLR's work this way because it presents a brighter view finder window.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

PLee
Enthusiast

Turn on exposure simulation in the shooting menu. It's in the far right red tab, fifth row down.

Suspicions that I am just a noob confirmed.

Thanks everybody

Announcements