cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade from 10D

birish21
Contributor

So years and years ago my father gave me his Canon 10D along with a EF 75-300 1:4-6.5 IS as well as an EF 28-135 1 : 3.5-5.6 IS.  I know these are pretty nice lenses so my decision to stick with canon has already been made for me.  I really want to upgrade the body of this camera but I really do not have the budget to spend a whole lot for a new body.  What would be a decent upgrade over the 10D that wont break the bank? 

13 REPLIES 13

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 10D is a very old body.  At this point everything is an upgrade.

The "Rebe" bodies are the entry range, but there's a high & low end... the range starts with the T3 then T5 and at the high end it ends with the T6i and T6s.   These will be the most affordable.

The xxD bodies are the mid-range (10D was the first of these... now it's the 60D & 70D with the 70D being the newest and best.)

Above that are the full-frame, performance, and pro bodies... 7D & 7D II are action/sports bodies, 6D is entry full-frame, 5D III is the high-end full-frame, and the 1D X is the flagship body.

HOWEVER... if budget is an issue (sounds like it is), you may want to check out the offers in Canon's "Refurbished" section of their online store:  http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras

The "refurbished" cameras come with the same warranty as a new retail camera.  They include everything that a new retail camera would have included (except the retail box -- they usually come in a plain box.)

The latest camera will probably suprise you with ISO performance and also sensor resolution -- as well as having just about everything upgraded (focus system, speed, etc.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Would this be a good solution for $335

EOS Rebel T3i EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished

I was also looking at the

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera Body Only for $400

Hi.

What do you photograph?

The T3i is a very good bargain in a camera body. I would say that is a good choice.

The SL1 is a small camera body. Unless you have small hands and can't easily hold average sized things, I would shy away from it. It is just small enough to make it less easy to grip and to make the controls harder to use. It is not small enough, however, to put in a pocket or anything really useful, especially with any of the lenses you mention attached to it.

Good luck.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
Hi.

What do you photograph?

The T3i is a very good bargain in a camera body. I would say that is a good choice.

The SL1 is a small camera body. Unless you have small hands and can't easily hold average sized things, I would shy away from it. It is just small enough to make it less easy to grip and to make the controls harder to use. It is not small enough, however, to put in a pocket or anything really useful, especially with any of the lenses you mention attached to it.

Good luck.

So right now it's stuff like birds, flowers, and landscapes.  I don't ever really plan on doing fast action shots or sports or anything of the sort.  I like the 10D don;t get me wrong, but that thing is a beast to lug around, really heavy for a camera.  Now with the T3i I would be able to use the lenses I have now correct?

The T3i is 515g, the 10D is 790g (body-only weight) -- so the T3i sheds 275g (about 1/4 of a Kg -- a little more than half a pound.)

The Rebel SL1 is the smallest & lightest in the line.  It's 370g (407g by CIPA standard -- which weighs the camera with battery & memory card inserted -- but without a lens attached.)  Still... that's less than half of what the 10D weighs.

The newer kit lenses are MUCH lighter (especially the 18-55mm f/3-5-5.6 IS STM lens.  I've bolded STM because it's much better and also lighter than the non-STM version Canon still offers.)

Lenses have come a long way and even the kit lenses are getting very good (kit lens are the lenses that Canon includes with the camera when you buy it as a "camera body + lens" kit vs. the "camera body only" option.)

Something else I've noticed about "weight"... I have a "gripped" 5D III and most of the time it's got either the 70-200mm f/2.8 or 24-70 f/2.8 -- it weighs a lot.  It used to bother me to wear it around my neck for any period of time.  I eventually switched to a sling type strap (I use a Black Rapid RS-7 strap) and that made a HUGE difference.  I can now wear it all day long and not be bothered by it because the weight is now on my shoulder instead of my neck.  The Black Rapid RS-7 is only mildly padded, but there are some sling straps that are heavily padded and even more comfortable.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

The T3i is 515g, the 10D is 790g (body-only weight) -- so the T3i sheds 275g (about 1/4 of a Kg -- a little more than half a pound.)

The Rebel SL1 is the smallest & lightest in the line.  It's 370g (407g by CIPA standard -- which weighs the camera with battery & memory card inserted -- but without a lens attached.)  Still... that's less than half of what the 10D weighs.

The newer kit lenses are MUCH lighter (especially the 18-55mm f/3-5-5.6 IS STM lens.  I've bolded STM because it's much better and also lighter than the non-STM version Canon still offers.)

Lenses have come a long way and even the kit lenses are getting very good (kit lens are the lenses that Canon includes with the camera when you buy it as a "camera body + lens" kit vs. the "camera body only" option.)

Something else I've noticed about "weight"... I have a "gripped" 5D III and most of the time it's got either the 70-200mm f/2.8 or 24-70 f/2.8 -- it weighs a lot.  It used to bother me to wear it around my neck for any period of time.  I eventually switched to a sling type strap (I use a Black Rapid RS-7 strap) and that made a HUGE difference.  I can now wear it all day long and not be bothered by it because the weight is now on my shoulder instead of my neck.  The Black Rapid RS-7 is only mildly padded, but there are some sling straps that are heavily padded and even more comfortable.

I never thought about strap options, I have the basic cannon strap that prob came with the camera.  Thing digs into my neck when I am carrying it around.

"Yea I think maybe the weight isn't as big a deal as I was making, I think it really boils down to wanting newer/faster tech"

All the info given above is good and true but ignors your price limit!  Sometimes they get a liitle off the question.  Any camera made today, especially in the $300 to $400 range, is going to do everything better than your 10D. It is that simple.  You just need to choose the one that fits your needs and budget.

" I have the basic cannon strap that prob came with the camera.  Thing digs into my neck when I am carrying it around."

Nobody likes that strap.  Take a look at the Black Rapid.  BTW, the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is an outstanding lens.  I consider it the "Best Buy" in the Canon lens line up.  Considering what you get and for how much it cost.  It is made for a FF camera, however, so like Bob from Boston said, it will feel pretty much like a tele.  But that can be an advantage.  Right?  Of course right!  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@birish21 wrote:

Definitely the T3i. It's a very good camera that's always been highly regarded at its position in the product line. And even the kit lens fills a gap in your equipment inventory.

Maybe it's just me, but the SL1 is a camera whose purpose I've never quite been able to get my head around. At its price point, it seems as though one pays more money for a smaller, less convenient (and possibly less durable) body. I'd say spend the extra $65 on a couple of 32GB memory cards (the one's from your 10D won't fit a present-day Rebel) or a spare battery.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@birish21 wrote:

Definitely the T3i. It's a very good camera that's always been highly regarded at its position in the product line. And even the kit lens fills a gap in your equipment inventory.

Maybe it's just me, but the SL1 is a camera whose purpose I've never quite been able to get my head around. At its price point, it seems as though one pays more money for a smaller, less convenient (and possibly less durable) body. I'd say spend the extra $65 on a couple of 32GB memory cards (the one's from your 10D won't fit a present-day Rebel) or a spare battery.

What do you mean by kit lense?  You mean the lense that comes with it?  28-135 I have should be a good all around lense correct?

Announcements