cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to buy a 5D Mark III

clint6998
Apprentice

I am looking at the 5d mark III for my multirotor.  In video mode, can the focus be set to infinity?  is that a lense or camera option? Suggestions?

New to canon.  Previous Nikon user but my new gimbal does not hold my Nikon.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@clint6998 wrote:
On the full-time auto-focus, is it smooth or jumpy? My Nikon goes way in and out before settling on a focal point so I have to always manually focus.

On my 7D Mark II, video AF is pretty smooth except that it makes a lot of annoying clicking noises on my non-STM lenses.  I read that STM (step motor) lenses solve the problem but I have none to test.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

diverhank
Authority

Focus at infinity is a lens option, not of the camera.  You switch the lens to MF then focus at infinity and back off just a tad.  The biggest problem I can see is that the lens might drift on you so maybe gaffer tape can be utilized?

For video Auto-focus, the 5D Mark III is a bad choice because it won't , unlike the 70/80D or 7D Mark II...that will full-time auto-focus.

On the full-time auto-focus, is it smooth or jumpy? My Nikon goes way in and out before settling on a focal point so I have to always manually focus.

@clint6998 wrote:

On my 7D Mark II, video AF is pretty smooth except that it makes a lot of annoying clicking noises on my non-STM lenses.  I read that STM (step motor) lenses solve the problem but I have none to test.

Awsome!  Thank you for the quick help!  I think I am going to love this forum!!

I don't know that I would get the 5D3. The 80d is better at video due to the dual pixel autofocus. It is also lighter, which must be helpful in flight. It is also half the price.   I really can't think of any advantage for this use in a 5d3. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I don't know that I would get the 5D3. The 80d is better at video due to the dual pixel autofocus. It is also lighter, which must be helpful in flight. It is also half the price.   I really can't think of any advantage for this use in a 5d3. 

Perhaps because the 5d3, being full frame, has a much wider FOV for a given focal length...

The OP mentioned he/she is manually focusing to infinity so autofocus is not a factor.  If full frame matters, the 6D might be a better choice (less price, lighter).

"The OP mentioned he/she is manually focusing to infinity so autofocus is not a factor.  If full frame matters, the 6D might be a better choice (less price, lighter)."

The 6D is not a good choice for shooting video, mostly stills.  The 80D is a better choice than the 5D Mark III.  And, the EOS M3 just might be a better choice than the 80D because of its' lower price, lighter weight, and "Hybrid CMOS AF III". 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@diverhank wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

Perhaps because the 5d3, being full frame, has a much wider FOV for a given focal length...

The OP mentioned he/she is manually focusing to infinity so autofocus is not a factor.  If full frame matters, the 6D might be a better choice (less price, lighter).

Yes but that brings up another advantage for the lighter cheaper 80d: being a crop sensor cam it can use cheaper lighter and wider EF-s lenses. A wide 10-22mm zoom by Canon or Sigma or whomever is quite cheap compared to its full frame expensive equivalents like 16-35 lenses. 

I actually suspect a drone may want a telephoto lens as often as a wide angle and then the 1.6x crop fov telephoto advantage actually helps. 

Also, if I was going to strap a camera and lens onto a little helecopter, it would not be my most expensive body and lens. Bad things can happen. Catastrophic things from which even a magnesium frame and weather sealing are of no help.   Better to send a less costly kit aloft. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

While everyone has valid points, I think the 7D mark ii is going to be my route. My gimbal is designed to fit the 5D mark iii. The 7D mark ii should fit just fine (with the exception of the IR sensor) and the AF in video mode is my main concern.

As for putting more expensive equipment in the air, thank God for insurance! I have already destroyed one Nikon. Now I have a lot more fail-safes in place and two parachutes also in case fail-safes fail.

Love what I am reading from you all.
Announcements