cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to bring my phtotgraphy to the next level

bethanyanna
Contributor

I have always enjoyed photography. I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't have a camera!
I currently have a point and shoot Sony Cybershot. It does good, for what it is. But now that I have children, I really want to hone my skills. I can take decent stills and landscapes all day long, but I want to get nice portraits without having to pay a photographer.

So I've been doing some research, and I think I've narrowed my search to the Canon EOS 7D. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews, and it looks like it would be a nice middle of the road camera to get my feet wet with.

I think I read that it shoots in RAW, but I honestly am not going to even pretend that I know what that means. lol

So before I go drop a grand on a camera, I would love some feedback!

Thanks for the help!! Smiley Happy

29 REPLIES 29

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I had two EOS 7D's.  They helped me make a living.  I am retired now so I sold down a lot of stuff so I don't have them any longer.  But I can tell you, they are mighty fine cameras.  They are the lirst level to a full on pro body.

If I were you, I would look for a deal on the 7D and a white box EF 24-105mm f4L lens.  You will likely need a little wider lens for your "decent stills and landscapes".  Possibly a EF-s 10-22mm.  The camera and thoes two lenses would be a killer combo.  Plus you need not buy all at once.  Smiley Happy

Do not let any internet keyboard jockey tell you the 7D deosn't do portraits.  It does and very well.  Also don't let that same knuckelhead tell you it won't do landscapes. It does and very well.

I prefer to use 'angle of view' over millmeters in describing lenses.  However most don't.  As long as the AOV matches the photo will be the same. No matter the camera.  This spec is easy to find on any lens.

As to using RAW, I use it entirely.  I never shoot jpg.  Even in my G15 P&S, I shoot RAW.  RAW is the uncompressed complete data the camera captuers.  Except for tif, all the rest compress data and than delete it.  What this means, is your high dollar camera/lens is giving you full data and then you are throwing it in the trash before you ever get to see it.  That's jpg!

However, RAW requires post processing. You will get DPP software free with the EOS 7D.  It will do the processing for you with very little input from you.  But it will allow you to do far greater "fixing" as you see fit. Plus there are better post editors out there, not free, that do even more.  Lightroom and/or Photoshop or PS Elements for example.  If you are serious you must learn one of these.  Great photos are 1/2 camera/lens, 1/2 post editing and 1/2 you.  Yes it does add up as you will learn and may not always be in that order.

Go for it, it's gonna be fun.............

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

i agree with the 7D, or 7D II, plus the 24-105mm and 10-22mm lenses. The 28-135 mm has a nice usable zoom range, takes some nice images, i still have one in my lense collection, but it is what some call a 'dust pump', you slide it within itself to focus which can pull dust or moisture within the lens body, i have a friend who loves shooting wildflowers and insects, his 28-135 appears to have mold inside and has stopped focusing properly, he keeps a plastic trash bag with him to cover his equipment if caught in a rain storm, but humidity was too much.

Years ago i had a Rebel XT with the 10-22mm ( sold it to a friend who is still using it to do portraits and group shots at his church) , it was one of my go to lenses for wider group shots or landscapes with that reduced sensor camera.

Recently one of my coworkers purchased the 7D II prior to his last vacation (i recommended these lenses and camera combination) and he and his fiancee brough back some great shots and love the lense and camera combination they put togethor. Should be a Camera you can enjoy getting the shots you're looking for, and learn using camera settings to get the depth of field and background blur you want in the portraits.

"... but it is what some call a 'dust pump', ..."

I hear and have heard this a for a very long time.  But I don't know how much I believe it.  Some lenses seem to get this attribute associaled with them.  I suppose there must be some truth in it, however, all lenses move. It is a fact of life. It is simply, how they move that seems to garner the reputation.

I have had two, and still do have one, of the EF 28-135mm and neither was any more or less dusty inside than any other zoom I have.

To this, I would not worry and use the lens with out concern.

EB

Awesome Information! I love it! Thank you!

'course it will take me a few read throughs to catch it all, and I'm sure there will be some trial and error on my end to see what works for me and what doesn't.

@TCapmbell wrote:
"You specifically mentioned wanting something nicer for portraits.  Of course any camera can take a "portrait" (even a phone), so when someone mentions wanting something "nicer" it occurs to me that you might be thinking of the effect in which the subject has tack-sharp focus and yet the background is beautifully blurred."

Yes! Exactly! Although I'm sure I could probably achive some of that effect through editing, my assumption is, it would be much more effective if that's just how I took the photo.

compare-dslr-with-point-and-shoot-canon-682.jpg

@TTMartin wrote:
"For a general use camera I would choose the 70D over the classic 7D.  The 70D is very close to the classic 7D in its performance feature (fps, 19 focus points, etc) and adds some nice features for general use like the tilt swivel touch screen, much finer more even noise characteristics, and Dual Pixel AF for video."

My initial reaction, and subsequent reply to this is that my preference would be to go with the 7D, as it's a little higher (don't know if that's the right word) model, and I also have no interest in video. But after handling the 6D, T5i, & 70D earlier this week, I am hesitant to purchase a hefty camera like the 6D (which I'm assuming is similar to the 7D since they both that metal frames).

The 70D, weightwise & sizewise, is more what I had in mind. But if I go that roiute, would I be better searved to go with the newer T5i even though it has fewer megapixels?

The only thing that I don't care for on either model (70D & T5i) is the flip-out/ rotate in almost any direction screen that just seems like it's just one more moving parts that could eventually lead to costly repairs. It almost screams "Break me now".

Has anybody encountered any problems in regards to the flip screens?

Although... it occurs to me now that weight may not be attributed to the camera as much as the lens.

Would that be a correct observation?

one  of my coworkers (mentioned in earlier reply) bought the 7D version2, and loves it because it does well with the portrait and family shots he takes , plus has a higher 'frame per second count' so he can capture action shots, including airshows, and the kids running around the yard with more 'keeper' shots that are in focus , and when he wants 'portrait' quality shots can adjust the aperture setting / depth of field, to fade the background to the degree he wants also.

Another one of my co workers has a 60D; plus the 6D you mentioned because he wanted a Full frame camera that was better in Low light situations, where you can actually take more shots without necessasarily needing to add flash (better sensor high ISO capability), but it has a relatively smaller frame per second ability, not good for rapid action shots, slower to focus, the 6D is a larger camera than the reduced sensor sized Rebels, 60d, 70d, 7d, 7d2 crop sensor cameras, but is not actually that much more in weight,.

As far as lenses go, professional lenses that are also better in low light , and have larger max aperture sizes (smaller f numbers) , will have more glass in them also will weigh quite a bit more...

You would think my 1dx was a cinder block :), but it has a heavier build, 3 processors, heavier battery, etc., but it is what works for me in a greater variety of situations.

High ISO peformance is largely controlled by the amount of light.  If there is pretty good light, you get pretty good results.  When light is seriously poor, the results also will be.  The place it shows mostly is in lab tests but the average user may not see a real world of difference between the 7D Mk II and the 6D.  Althoug, granted, there may be a slight advantage.  It would not be the driving factor for me, however, between the two bodies.

EB

"Has anybody encountered any problems in regards to the flip screens?"

You don't have to flip it out to use the camera.

A word about weight and it is a prime consideration, but if you are a real portrait photographer wann-be, I suggest you get the battery grip acessary.  It makes verticals much easier.  But it does add weight.  Verticals are extremely important to portraits.

All Canon full on pro models have a vertical shooting position standard equipment.

You are correct about build.  The 6D and 70D are pretty much equal.  The 7D Mk II is a better more robust build.

In this case and what you are considering, mega-pickles do not matter.  If the T5i or T6i fits your requirement, go for it.  You will never miss them.

EB

The only thing that I don't care for on either model (70D & T5i) is the flip-out/ rotate in almost any direction screen that just seems like it's just one more moving parts that could eventually lead to costly repairs. It almost screams "Break me now".

Has anybody encountered any problems in regards to the flip screens?

I have a flip/rotating screen on (2) Camera's and (2) Camcorders.  Only my pocket P & S screen does'nt flip.  I think it a plus and have never had one break.   In fact, I think they're better protected when you turn the screen facing toward the camera, rather than the none flip screens that are always exposed.  I keep my screen closed most times and use the viewfinder, because my nose touches the screen and puts oil smudges on it.  I'm not much of a video user and only use my screen to look at my pics and check settings in the menu.  When I do use video I like the flip screen better for better viewing angles.   I will not buy a non rotating LCD screen camera unless I absolutely have to, that's caused me to rule out a couple very good cameras because of it.....as possible upgrades   And I'm not fond of the newer touch screen LCD's at all.  I rather have the older menu system.

Announcements