cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking through viewfinder I see subject in small circle instead of large rectangle

huskyC
Enthusiast

I bought a Canon 5D Mark II and received it today. The seller posted it as missing CF pin. I bought it for tethering so it is not a big concern to me. 

When I connected it to Canon EOS Utilities and Light room, everything works okay. For less than $180, I can't complain at all.

The rear LCD displayed properly. However, when I looked into the viewfinder, I saw a small circle and not the full rectangle  view.

I am investigating the problem. Please share your experience if you have encountered the same thing.

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Sounds like perhaps something is amiss with the focusing screen. What do you see when you look into the mirror box and look at the top.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi huskyC,

Thanks for checking in with us!

From what you mentioned, it is possible that the focusing screen has gotten out of place, as John Hoffman suggested. To check this, turn off the camera, remove the lens and look into the camera. If you see a small gate hanging above the mirror, then that means the focusing screen has fallen loose.

The good news is that the focusing screen is designed to be easily removed and replaced by our photographers. That's because we have a few focusing screen accessories; some have grid lines and some are better for doing manual focus. Our photographers can select the focusing screen that best suits their needs and then easily swap a screen in and out when appropriate.

If you do see a hanging gate above the mirror, then make sure the focusing screen is seated correctly on the gate then slide it up to the roof until the gate clicks into position.

Announcements