cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for wifi adapter for Canon 5Ds

limvo05
Rising Star

Hi All,

Can anyone here make recommendations on how and what kind of wifi adapter I can buy for my Canon 5Ds?

I've looked at the Canon website and this is what they have Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi adapter. I don't particularly like this solution because it would take up the SD slot.

Curious anyone used this and could give me feedback?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mark35mmF2 wrote:

Hey there,

Yes, it sounds like the W-E1 won't be a good fit for you, it is not very fast so it would only really be of benefit for transferring small sets of images or just individual images at a time and as a few of you have stated, those large 50 megapixel files certainly won't make it faster. The WFT-E7A would be the best option but it also sounds overspecced if all you want to do is transfer your images from inside the camera, its primarily used for active uploads to a server during news gathering/live events and live tethering over a wide area.

From the sounds of it you may be best off just using a card reader with a thunderbolt port for your Mac, or a USB card reader with USB adapter on the Mac.

I concur with Mark's points. The main reason for having WiFi isn't to avoid buying a card reader; it's so that you car quickly send your pictures to a newspaper or Web site under deadline. But under that circumstance, you're hardly going to be using a 5Ds, because you don't need, or even want, all that resolution.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

I have a 5DS R and I primarily use the SD instead of the CF card and remove it to transfer files.  With my 1DX bodies I use the ethernet port and leave the cards in place which is my preferred method.  But my 5DS R doesn't get nearly as much use as my 1DX series bodies so card removal isn't a big hassle.  Compared to the CF socket, a SD socket is more mechanically robust so I prefer using it and I am not using my 5DS R for high speed bursts (definitely not it forte compared to the 1DX series) so the slight speed advantage of the CF card isn't important to my usage.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@limvo05 wrote:

This is where i found it  https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/wifi-adapter-w-e1

The full User Manual also indicates that you should use the WFT-E7, too.  It is in the center of this screenshot.

5438FB01-0258-47EB-97E4-CCCD3E69ED42.jpeg

You can download the manual at the link that I provided above.  I suggest that you download it, and study it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there,

Yes, it sounds like the W-E1 won't be a good fit for you, it is not very fast so it would only really be of benefit for transferring small sets of images or just individual images at a time and as a few of you have stated, those large 50 megapixel files certainly won't make it faster. The WFT-E7A would be the best option but it also sounds overspecced if all you want to do is transfer your images from inside the camera, its primarily used for active uploads to a server during news gathering/live events and live tethering over a wide area.

From the sounds of it you may be best off just using a card reader with a thunderbolt port for your Mac, or a USB card reader with USB adapter on the Mac.

@Mark35mmF2 wrote:

Hey there,

I concur with Mark's points. The main reason for having WiFi isn't to avoid buying a card reader; it's so that you car quickly send your pictures to a newspaper or Web site under deadline. But under that circumstance, you're hardly going to be using a 5Ds, because you don't need, or even want, all that resolution.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements