cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for wifi adapter for Canon 5Ds

limvo05
Rising Star

Hi All,

Can anyone here make recommendations on how and what kind of wifi adapter I can buy for my Canon 5Ds?

I've looked at the Canon website and this is what they have Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi adapter. I don't particularly like this solution because it would take up the SD slot.

Curious anyone used this and could give me feedback?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mark35mmF2 wrote:

Hey there,

Yes, it sounds like the W-E1 won't be a good fit for you, it is not very fast so it would only really be of benefit for transferring small sets of images or just individual images at a time and as a few of you have stated, those large 50 megapixel files certainly won't make it faster. The WFT-E7A would be the best option but it also sounds overspecced if all you want to do is transfer your images from inside the camera, its primarily used for active uploads to a server during news gathering/live events and live tethering over a wide area.

From the sounds of it you may be best off just using a card reader with a thunderbolt port for your Mac, or a USB card reader with USB adapter on the Mac.

I concur with Mark's points. The main reason for having WiFi isn't to avoid buying a card reader; it's so that you car quickly send your pictures to a newspaper or Web site under deadline. But under that circumstance, you're hardly going to be using a 5Ds, because you don't need, or even want, all that resolution.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@limvo05 wrote:

Hi All,

Can anyone here make recommendations on how and what kind of wifi adapter I can buy for my Canon 5Ds?

I've looked at the Canon website and this is what they have Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi adapter. I don't particularly like this solution because it would take up the SD slot.

Curious anyone used this and could give me feedback?

Thank you.

Where did you get the piece of information?  From the User Manual?  WFT-E7A Wireless File Transmitter is another option.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@limvo05 wrote:

This is where i found it  https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/wifi-adapter-w-e1

I apologize, but your link does not indicate why you selected it.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... 

Scroll down to the "wireless" section.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was just looking to see if Canon has a wifi solution, and that's what came up in my search. I never heard of this product till now. No specific reason.

I guess this borders on being off-topic, and it's personal opinion anyway. But the times I'd want to use a 5Ds, and the times I'd think it necessary to use WiFi, would hardly ever intersect.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Valid point! The files generated by the 5Ds are rather large, thus, I really wanted to know how long it would take to transfer the files via wifi? If it is not fast, then it might defeat the purpose. 

Thanks.

@limvo05 wrote:

Valid point! The files generated by the 5Ds are rather large, thus, I really wanted to know how long it would take to transfer the files via wifi? If it is not fast, then it might defeat the purpose. 

Thanks.

Curious to know why this ended up under the heading of LENSES?

Personally I find it easier to remove a card and pop it in a reader that is then recognized as a drive by my computer.   To me the disadvantage of using WiFi or cables to download directly from the camera is that I chew through battery capacity for (what I percieve as) no particularl benefit.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor, I agreed with you on this. That said, with the newer Mac, it does not have a built-in SD card reader, so I would have to plug the card into an external card reader, then connect the card reader to the mac. 

Again, I was just curious how everyone is doing it, and what options available.

Thanks.

Agree about the loss of card readers, I have an external SD card reader too. I appreciate you are just inquiring and FWIW I just plug the reader in the PC and the card into it and it works fast, and reliably. I never use the WiFi features of my cameras as I find them a drain on battery power even if I am not actually using that feature, so I stuck with plugging in. I reckon it takes no more time or button pressing that the alternatives.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements