cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a wide angle lens for a Canon 60D

Sunjeezy23
Apprentice
Looking for a wide angle lens to shoot model homes as well as large family photoshoots for a Canon 60D. I don't have a hard budget but would like to stay under $2k USD. Any/all suggestions would be appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS STM.
Don't be scared by its low price. All of Canon's STM lenses offer fantastic image quality at unbelievable prices.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS STM.
Don't be scared by its low price. All of Canon's STM lenses offer fantastic image quality at unbelievable prices.

Sunjeezy23
Apprentice
That price is really reasonable! You think this lens will accomplish all that I plan to use it for?

Yep, check out Ken Rockwells review - I can't link to it here - but just google Ken Rockwell EF-S 10-18 review. It will also link to the 10-22 review if you want to check that out.

@Sunjeezy23 wrote:
That price is really reasonable! You think this lens will accomplish all that I plan to use it for?

Yes, it will work well for what you described. 

If the plastic mount bothers you there is the EF-S 10-22. It's more expensive, doesn't have image stabilization, won't give you better image quality,  but, it does have a metal mount.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Sunjeezy23 wrote:

Yes, it will work well for what you described. 

If the plastic mount bothers you there is the EF-S 10-22. It's more expensive, doesn't have image stabilization, won't give you better image quality,  but, it does have a metal mount.

Contrasting Opinion:

I bought the EF-S because of the superior build quality, like the internal focusing and internal zooming.  It also has a wider zoom range.  The 10-22mm is also faster than the 10-18, and can give you f/4 out to 18mm.  The 10-22mm is a big lens, but remarkably light for its' size.  

IMG_2015_09_190383.WEB.jpg 

With a SWA, super wide angle, lens you really do not need image stabilization, not unless you're doing a a low light, hand held close up.  The above shot was captured by a Rebel T5 from a slowly moving and rocking boat, as it docked.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sunjeezy23
Apprentice
Do either of you own the 10-18? If so, any issues with the plastic frame?

No I don't own it, but from the site I alluded to:

"The Canon 10-18 STM is all plastic, but good plastic. It's small enough that I don't worry about hitting it by accident and breaking it off a camera; there isn't enough leverage, and Canon's APS-C cameras aren't heavy enough."

Announcements