cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live View

yedpaul
Apprentice

Hi thanks for the Help. I hope you can help ? I have everything enabled for Live View on my 80d and when I am in manual mode and shutter priority mode in Live View I can adjust and see the Histogram move as the screen gets lighter or darker ( exposure simulation )....but that does not happen when I am in Aperture Mode under Live View... I adjust the aperture and while Exp Sim is valid nothing changes with the Histogram or screen … is it not supposed to? as the other 2 modes I mentioned do? Any Help? thanks

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The whole point of Av mode is that it will keep the same exposure at various apertures. In Tv mode, you must be setting the shutter outside of the range where the camera can compensate with Aperture and ISO so Exposure Sim makes the image change.

^^ This

For any given shot, there are a lot of combinations of Aperture & Shutter speed to create a valid exposure -- even without changing the ISO.  Change the ISO (or set the ISO to auto) and there are many many more combinations.

The camera is trying to get you correct exposure.  When you change the Av it will change the shutter speed (or ISO) to compensate.

Changing the Av will change the depth of field ... but it will also trigger a change to shutter speed (if the shot has motion in it that will either help freeze the motion ... or increase the motion blur).

If you want to see the exposure simulation change as you change the settings, you would want to use Manual mode ... where the camera wont auotmatically compensate for your exposure adjustments.

Keep in mind the live view image is just an exposure "simulation" -- it isn't the true exposure.  When you are composing and focusing the shot, the camera always leaves the apeture wide-open.  It only closes down the aperture blades briefly as the shutter opens to take the shot.  So you don't get an accurate representation of things like depth-of-field (although there is a depth-of-field preview you can use if you want to see that). 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements