cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lines of color in Canon 60D

pepsigidy
Apprentice

I am having a Canon EOS 60D. Recently, while taking snaps, I came across some lines of colors in my screen.. Even i download in my computer, I can see the lines in some photos. I donno the problem, can anyone ve any idea?? or u can suggest me some.. A photo in the below link :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78506499@N03/20173709479/in/dateposted-public/

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
SD card problem. You could try a low-level format in camera, but they are inexpensive enough, so I would purchase a new one.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

amfoto1
Authority

Yeah, that's a corrupted or truncated file.

The most likely thing is the memory card or how you're using it or the method you use to download the image.

Do you see this on the camera's LCD when you play back the image?

Or, do you only see it on your computer monitor after downloading the image to your hard drive?

If you see this happening in-camera, odds are that it's the memory card. Is it an older one that's seen a lot of use? Is it high quality, name brand and good performance rated card? Do you regularly format the memory card in-camera before using it?

If seeing this in-camera, it may be a fault in the camera itself. This is less likely than a bad memory card, but possible. It can be anything from some oxidization or dirt on the contacts in the memory card slot  that a simple cleaning might solve, to a failing component inside the camera that calls for more extensive repair. This type problem IS NOT a shutter issue or failing sensor. If it's a camera component farther "downstream", most likely either the card socket or the circuitry responsible for writing to the card.

If only seeing it in-computer, it's still possible the memory card is at fault. Or, it might be whatever device or connection is being used to download the image... such as the USB cable, if downloading directly from the camera... or any cable/connection if using a card reader. If using a card reader, it also can be oxidization or dirt on the contacts inside the card slot. It also can simply be a failing memory card reader, if that's what you are using.

It's just a matter of doing some trouble shooting, using the above for guideline.

If you haven't been regularly formatting your card(s) in-camera, first try doing that.

If you have been formatting and the problem is showing up in-camera, remove the card and inspect the contacts on it and inside the slot in the camera. If you don't see anything, try a different memory card, properly formatted.

Or, if it's only showing up in-computer, look at how you're downloading your files. If using the USB cord and downloading directly from the camera, it could be a bad cord or bad connections at either end of the cord, so try using a separate memory card reader instead (if your computer doesn't have one built in, get a good one... they aren't expensive). I had similar problem that traced back to a USB hub that I'd connected a card reader to... as soon as I connected the reader directly to the computer, eliminating the extra connections of the hub, the problem went away entirely.

If none of the above helps and you are seeing the problem in-camera, you might need to have a repair tech look at your 60D. Be sure to include a memory card that has some of the bad files on it.

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If every image had the same problem then it could indicate a problem with the camera's imaging sensor.  But this isn't common (and often if the sensor does fail, it will be one tiny little column of "pixels" that didn't work -- not half the sensor.)

The more common issue is a corruption on the memory card.  You should reformat the card ONLY via the in-camera format menu and you should also enable the "low level" checkbox option.

If the issue persists, dispose of the card and get a new card.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... dispose of the card and get a new card."   Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements