cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line on Right side of frame Canon 1D4

tomjohn777
Apprentice

So I got a new lens very recently; EF 24-70mm 2.8L Mark I. I shoot for the newspaper - so photojournalism and HS events & sports. See the right side of the frame and the line on it? I kind of flipped out thinking oh I got a lens with a problem or my camera shutter is dying!

So today I had time to do some tests. This was shot with my 1D4. Tried a different lens, ruled that out - it's the camera. Went to my picture folders to see when things changed. I found a folder of softball pix I took on April 2 that had this line and I never even noticed! Went back to baseball pix from 3/29, no line. So I figure my camera messed up two months ago at the beginning of April. I kept looking at pictures in the same 4/2 album and I noticed some pictures had no line. I thought, maybe this is intermittent.

So I go through a bunch more pictures and keep finding some with lines and most without. Finally — I noticed the pictures with the line are all shot at ISO 100. Regardless of what shutter speed or f-stop they all have lines like this. So I start going back to 2018, 2017, and 2016 when I bought the 1D4. I was stunned to find it had the line in 2016 when I bought it used. I hardly shoot at ISO 100 so I guess that's how I never noticed in three years of using this body. I have shot well over 100K pictures in the three years I have had it and everything is perfect other than the line at ISO 100.

I did a test today. I shot at all different ISO's and the line is only there at ISO 50 and ISO 100. It disappears at ISO 125 and up. Crazy, right?? Also I have one pixel that is red but you have to be zoomed in on the pc all the way to ever see it. That pixel was like that when I got it and it never affected my pictures so I didn't worry about it.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It sounds like a fault with the image sensor.  I would bet that it is present in every image being captured, but is being “baked out” of the images at higher ISO settings by the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Sample? It could be a hot row of pixels or dead pixels.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements