cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited shutter speed on 7D

Shoeless
Contributor

Just picked up a used 7D recently.  Having troubles getting anything to appear above 1/2500.  I was trying to shoot sunspots, and normally use a combination of ND filters and 1/4000 (max on the T3).  I just tried it again with the same lens on the T3.  Works fine like always.  However, on the 7D, anything above 1/2500 is black. I've tried auto ISO and everything else I can think of.  Is there another setting somewhere in the menu that I'm missing?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried to reset the camera back to factory defaults, yet?  Anytime you buy a used DSLR, it is always a good idea to reset the camera to a known state, the factory default.  It sounds like a “Safety Shift” could be enabled, if it has that feature.

If you have not downloaded the instruction manual from the Canon Support 7D product page, then I suggest you do so.  Take the time to familiarize yourself with the camera’s features, most especially the options in the menu system.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yep.  Cleared settings when I got it.  This happens in Manual mode, too, so Safety Shift doesn't apply.  It was turned on, but I turned it off with no change.  😞

“....However, on the 7D, anything above 1/2500 is black....”

Wait a second.  Are you saying that you can set higher shutter speeds, but the images are always black?  If so, then you may have a bad shutter.  That sounds like an unusual type of mechanical failure, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yep, that's what I'm saying.  It sounds like the shutter is working, but I get a blank image every time on any shutter speed over 1/2500th.  I think I'll swing by the store yet today and see if they have any ideas.

UPDATE:  Took it back to the store.  Two of them checked it over and concurred that something's definitely wrong.  They think the shutter might be not opening at higher speeds...sooo...off to the Canon repair facility in Palo Alto.  She said she'd give me a list of whatever they found wrong when they return it, so I'll post an update here. 

Thanks for the help!

Got it back yesterday.  Shutter assembly had to be replaced because it was "shorted causing under-exposure".  Got the standard cleaning/adjusting/firmware upgrade, too.  Just like having a new camera, and comes with a six-month factory warranty.  Smiley Very Happy

"Just like having a new camera,..."

Canon does a fantastic job.  I always got a new looking camera back after a C&C.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements