Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
jfo
Super Contributor
Posts: 280
Registered: ‎11-12-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

[ Edited ]
Sounds like the consensus is 'save money on the body, and get good lenses'... but I think another important takeaway is what jstntym said:

@jstntym wrote:

 The most important factor is the one behind the camera, great gear without the skills really won't suffice..

 




 

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

Make sure you understand the theory of "lens cropping" before buying any new DSLR body.

 

Se my post on this subject in this thread: http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/7d-or-5d-that-is-my-question/m-p/2179#U2179

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎11-16-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

Would these be good lenses to start with (Choose 2)?

 

Canon Telephoto EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens

 

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens

 

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens

 

Canon Wide Angle EF 35mm f/2.0 Autofocus Lens

 

Would be trying to keep lens cost to between 1000-1500, then the rest of the money could be put towards a body.  I would like to try and avoid paying more than 1k for any 1 lens just because of the limitations it would bring to the overall set up.  I do have plans to buy more lenses in the future, just not the near future.

jfo
Super Contributor
Posts: 280
Registered: ‎11-12-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?


@Ewellman wrote:

 I would like to try and avoid paying more than 1k for any 1 lens just because of the limitations it would bring to the overall set up. 


I'm not sure if this is a good strategy; you could end up short-changing yourself by getting two okay lenses rather than one great lens.

 

Typical lenses pros buy once as their "go to" or 'walkaround' lens are the 24-105mm f/4 L IS or the 24-70mm f/2.8 L.  

 


@Ewellman wrote:

 

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens


Its not a bad lens, from what I hear.  It comes as a kit lens with the 7D, FYI, so it actually sells for very cheap 'used' (possibly in very new condition from photographers who upgrade bodies with the 7D kit and never need to even use this lens).  Since it comes with the 7D, its also the lens that advanced hobbyists, etc sell as they move up in skill and equipment.  Budgeting around $200-250 instead of MSRP might give you a lot more flexibility.

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

[ Edited ]

if you're going to do it.. DO IT

 

i have the 70-200/2.8Lii and the 16-35/2.8Lii --- this xmas i'll probably get a 24-70ii because i need that focal range for the work i want to do - i'm missing opportunities from time to time..

 

(if the price dips this xmas like the 70-200 did last year - it dipped to $2k and i got it, see www.CanonPriceWatch.com to see it), i'll get it

 

later on.. "maybe" i'll get into primes - slowly

 

 

if you're "not" going to do it.. "meh" --- just get "whatever" lenses

 

but if you're serious about photography - identify the serious lenses and get them

 

 

and figure on getting two bodies

 

i now shoot with a 1dx and a 7d (17-55 and 10-22 for the 7d -- the 70-200 goes on my 7d also)

 

 

yeah, the cost is steep

 

but, if you want to do this - just do it  ---- make a plan, adjust your lifestyle ("create" an artificial state of economic scarcity) - sacrifice and get the equipment you'll need to do the work/art you want to do

 

just do it

 

 

or not

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

[ Edited ]

as to your other question (lens or cams first)..

 

lens

 

i started out with a t2i --- then i started getting the lenses

 

along the way i came into a 7d (sold the t2i to get it)

 

then a 5d2

 

but i kept the 5d2 in tip-top condition and the shutter counts to a minimum because i knew i wanted the 1dx

 

and yeah.. when the 1dx came out, i sold the 5d2, waited for the first firmware update, and got it

 

only recently have i come into the need for the 24-70 ---- so now its on my list

 

and yes - i am happy with all of my decisions so far 

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎11-16-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

Not sure what happened with that last post so ill try to remember what I had typed.

 

The reason I don't want to spend more than 1k on a lens is to try and get 2 lenses to keep my options open for both the distance that I shoot sports and a regular use lens.  I was hoping to spend around 1500 for the pair of lenses and then upgrade or get more as I get the funds and figure out the lenses that I want/need.  I just don't want to lock myself into just one lens then have to wait several months till I can get another.  Now if money wasn't a concern or I already had a camera body, then I would gladly choose 1 very nice lens and maybe get another, but as I do not have a body, or any lenses of my own, im at the all too familiar conundrum of which lenses to get for the little money that I have to spend.

 

So if I spend 1200 on 1 lens, then another 5-600 on a body, there goes my budget just like that and I will be stuck with the 1 lens.  I would much rather have 2 to have some variety in case I can not borrow from my family members.

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

when i bought my first camera, i bought it as a kit

costco had a sale for a t2i with an 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200

the kit also came with a bag (still use it!) and some other things (cf card..)

that might be a good start for you

the cost came to juuuust under $1k out the door

that got me started
jfo
Super Contributor
Posts: 280
Registered: ‎11-12-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?


@Ewellman wrote:

Not sure what happened with that last post so ill try to remember what I had typed.

 

The reason I don't want to spend more than 1k on a lens is to try and get 2 lenses to keep my options open for both the distance that I shoot sports and a regular use lens.  I was hoping to spend around 1500 for the pair of lenses and then upgrade or get more as I get the funds and figure out the lenses that I want/need.  I just don't want to lock myself into just one lens then have to wait several months till I can get another.  Now if money wasn't a concern or I already had a camera body, then I would gladly choose 1 very nice lens and maybe get another, but as I do not have a body, or any lenses of my own, im at the all too familiar conundrum of which lenses to get for the little money that I have to spend.

 

So if I spend 1200 on 1 lens, then another 5-600 on a body, there goes my budget just like that and I will be stuck with the 1 lens.  I would much rather have 2 to have some variety in case I can not borrow from my family members.


I still think this would be straddling the fence, and you'll end up a bit hindered in both the distance sports shots and regular use.

 


@JELPhotography wrote:
when i bought my first camera, i bought it as a kit

costco had a sale for a t2i with an 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200

the kit also came with a bag (still use it!) and some other things (cf card..)

that might be a good start for you

the cost came to juuuust under $1k out the door

that got me started

I had a similar start.  Amazon's deal/discount was that the 55-250mm was thrown in for free, so that covered me with at least the ability to shoot further away.

 

Ewellman: if you had to, a second-hand kit lens from the T#i series (18-55mm focal length) can be bought for $100 or less, and that would be a very decent "regular" lense as you're learning photography and how to use your DSLR.  Even the 55-250mm is cheap and chould get you started with distance sports photos if its outdoors and somewhat bright.  

As I think more about starting out with photography, I want to reiterate to not caught up in all this gear and the nicer lenses too early.  When you first get your DSLR, you'll have plenty to get used to already, and starting out with a simpler lens like the basic kit lens will actually give you a much better appreciation and thoughtfulness about what you need with your next lens.

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Lens or Camera first? Lens suggestions?

As I think more about starting out with photography, I want to reiterate to not caught up in all this gear and the nicer lenses too early.  When you first get your DSLR, you'll have plenty to get used to already, and starting out with a simpler lens like the basic kit lens will actually give you a much better appreciation and thoughtfulness about what you need with your next lens.

 

that's good advice

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement