cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens aps-c vs full frame

Cantanhede
Apprentice

Can I use the EF 16-35mm with the 80D and get a similar result on real estate shots?

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Cantanhede wrote:

Can I use the EF 16-35mm with the 80D and get a similar result on real estate shots?

You can use any EF Series or EF-S Series lens on the EOS 80D.  The EF-S 10-22mm will give you a similar angle of view on the 80D, compared to 16-35mm on a full frame body like a 5D Series camera.. 

The EF 16-35mm on an APS-C body like the EOS 80D will give you an equivalent focal length of 25.6-56mm on a full frame camera body like a 5D Series camera.  I think the zoom range of the 16-35mm on an APS-C body may be a bit narrow for many interior real estate shots.

BTW, the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM is an excellent lens, one I would consider over the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM for taking real estate photos, where wide angle lenses can be very useful..  You can always move closer to things on an interior shots, but you cannot always back away.  In fact, most of the time you cannot back away.

Each lens has an edge over the other.  The EF-S 10-22mm is faster over most of its' zoom range, still giving f/4 at 18mm.  The EF 16-35mm f/4L offers Image Stabilization, which is less useful if you are taking shots from  a tripod.  Barrel distortion at the short end of their zoom ranges is comparable for both lenses, which can be virtually eliminated by carefully leveling the camera. 

In fact, the lenses are so similar that they share the same lens hood.  The biggest difference being one has IS, and one does not.  I should point out that the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM does not have Image Stabilization, and it is still an excellent lens.

If you plan to upgrade to a full frame body some day, the EF 16-35mm might be a better choice.  If you are staying with APS-C body cameras for the time being, then the EF-S 10-22mm might be a better choice.

Overall, if I wanted to shoot primarily real estate photos, I would also consider the full frame EOS 6D, which has excellent low llight performance.  The 80D may have more advanced AF features, but the advantages of those features will be minimized when you are taking stills from a tipod.  The EOS 6D primary advantage over the 80D is its' low light performace, which will still be there, in force, when taking stills from a tripod indoors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Cantanhede
Apprentice
Hi Waddizzle, thanks for your great answer!
Is the 6D, even without the AF feature like 80D, a good camera to walking videos?

Best
Jose

@Cantanhede wrote:
Hi Waddizzle, thanks for your great answer!
Is the 6D, even without the AF feature like 80D, a good camera to walking videos?

Best
Jose

By walking videos, I guess you are meaning walking down the street, and capturing POV perspectives on what you see.  If that is the case, then there are better offerings for that purpose....most all of which pale in comparison to the 6D's still image performance. I would not recommend purchasing the 6D for video.  Shooting stills is where a 6D stands out from the entire Rebel line and most every EOS #0D camera body released so far.

Like I said, if you want a camera that can excel at both stills and video, then you need to aim a little higher up the product line.  Take a look at the 5D Mark III, the 7D Mark II, or even a 1 Series camera body.  Those are the current flagship models of the Canon lineup. 

Every other camera body sacrifices one thing or another, all in the name of lower cost.  Some of the lower cost bodies can both take pretty decent stills, as well as capture pretty decent video with, or without, active AF, but there is usually a small sacrifice made in image quality, or other desireable features like ISO performance.  Most of those bodies can do a pretty decent job across the board, but just not a really great job at any one part of it.

Here is a Field of View comparison tool so you can actually see the differences:

field of view tool

Here is a lens comparison tool, which nearly allows you to do side by side, flip comparisons, of two different camera bodies with different lenses. 

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Distortion.aspx?FLI=0&FLIComp=0&Lens=271&Camera=474&...

Notice how when you set up an APS-C body against a FF body, the FF body image will show a grey rectangle showing where the APS-C body would crop the image circle.

These tools are for conceptual use only.  Real world performance may differ slightly, or dramatically, from these simulations.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Cantanhede wrote:

The Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS STM would be the best choice for real estate shots with the 80D. Don't let its low price fool you. It has just as good image quality as much more expensive lenses.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Cantanhede wrote:

The Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS STM would be the best choice for real estate shots with the 80D. Don't let its low price fool you. It has just as good image quality as much more expensive lenses.

He probably makes a good point.  I have never used the 10-18mm, and don't know anyone who has. I cannot speak about image quality, nor how much barrel distortion that it exhibits.  The 10-22mm probably costs more because it incorporates larger lens elements, and utilizes lens element coatings that are mostly found in "L" Series lenses.

The 10-22mm is a USM lens, which is the same design used in most "L" lenses.  The 10-18mm is an STM design, which is not as fast or quiet. The 10-22mm has excellent IQ, and it is nearly "L" quality.  

The aperture of the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM is not as "fast" as the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.  If you are on a tight budget, then the 10-18mm would be a good choice.  If you have the budget for the 16-35mm L lens, then I think the 10-22mm would be a much better choice on an APS-C camera body, plus it costs far less. 

I think your lens best choice will ultimately be decided by what camera body you choose to use.  My best advice is to do not ever compromise on lens choices.  You will most likely develop buyer's remorse, and wind up buying the more expensive lens down the road.  My choice would be always be a FF body ... ... ... with the 16-35mm f/4L, or another wide angle "L" series zoom lens.  The only APS-C body I would consider would be the 7D Mark II.

[EDIT]  Here is a llink to a chart that compares the 10-18mm with the 10-22mm.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-two-new-canon-wide-angle-zoom-lenses

Correct me if I am wrong, the 10-22mm uses internal zooming and focusing mechanisms, which change the length of the lens when zooming or focusing.  The 10-18mm does not incorporate internal zooming and focusing mechanisms, and therefore can change its' length when zooming and focusing..

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Cantanhede wrote:

He probably makes a good point.  I have never used the 10-18mm, and don't know anyone who has. I cannot speak about image quality, nor how much barrel distortion that it exhibits.  The 10-22mm probably costs more because it incorporates more lens elements, and utilizes lens element coatings that are mostly found in "L" Series lenses.

The 10-22mm is a USM lens, which is the same design used in most "L" lenses.  The 10-18mm is an STM design, which is not as fast or quiet. The 10-22mm has excellent IQ, and it is nearly "L" quality.  

The aperture of the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM is not as "fast" as the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.  If you are on a tight budget, then the 10-18mm would be a good choice.  If you have the budget for the 16-35mm L lens, then I think the 10-22mm would be a much better choice on an APS-C camera body, plus it costs far less. 

I think your lens best choice will ultimately be decided by what camera body you choose to use.  My best advice is to do not ever compromise on lens choices.  You will most likely develop buyer's remorse, and wind up buying the more expensive lens down the road.  My choice would be always be a FF body ... ... ... with the 16-35mm f/4L, or another wide angle "L" series zoom lens.  The only APS-C body I would consider would be the 7D Mark II.

[EDIT]  Here is a llink to a chart that compares the 10-18mm with the 10-22mm.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-two-new-canon-wide-angle-zoom-lenses

Correct me if I am wrong, the 10-22mm uses internal zooming and focusing mechanisms, which won't change the length of the lens when zooming or focusing.  The 10-18mm does not incorporate internal zooming and focusing mechanisms, and therefore can change its' length when zooming and focusing..

Probable typo corrected above. (No comment on the accuracy of the assertion, because I don't know whether it's true.)

Also, I thought Canon's STM lenses were supposed to be quieter than their USM lenses. Isn't that why some people prefer them for video?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Correct, except for the new USM-nano.

Announcements