cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens and Camera recommendations

FidoQ
Contributor

Hi all new member here and also very newbie to cameras and photography. 

Two reasons for posting in this section, hope its ok.

1. Wanting to get a macro type lens for my camera,  EOS 6D mk2. I also have a EW-83M 24-105 lens as my one and only. At this time I don't really have aneed for telephoto as I don't shoot action sports ect. 

I do want my lens to be a CANON lens since it's made by the same company for their own camera I have to thing its best that way.

Back story,I had a bought a Rebel  T7i with the efs 18-55 is stm lens

something but my older son being a photographer made me take it back because it was not a "full frame" camera so he guided me into this one. 

My wife and I mostly enjoy posting food pictures and stuff for facebook but also short videos ect. on youtube now. 

My issue is that when i want to get real close up on the food the camera will not snap the picture so I fell I need a smaller lens for those times but I do love the ability to zoom in or out. 

My son keeps telling me to just use what I have and yes it is great but not for close up so I want something better for that.

2. Secondly we are still just learning to use this camera, mostly does an excelent job on auto for my purposes but so I watched a  lot of youtube videos about this camera and almost everybody trashed it as a video camera among other things like the 4k  and one chip and lalalala. So later this year maybe sooner we want a second camera but for sure want one that is GOOD FOR video too, mainly want to shoot more youtube food videos. We're not pros, just having fun at this point.

So not being a REAL photographer and not wanting to lean on my kids too much as they are very opinionated to their way of thinking I want some open minded opinions on my next camera. 

After watching countless youtube videos I still dont know what to buy, so much contradiction on YT with me guessing guys doing good or bad reviews depending if they get the products for free or not, am I right there?

Both my boys are in the photo video industry and love and own Canons, one being a EOS-1D XMK2 and the other a EOS-R as their main cameras and many lenses but they also live 5 hours away so I just can't drive over to barrow one of their lenses plus I want my own. 

I just want to figure this out on my own with your help of course so I can be more knowlegable too and get better with my cameras. 

Any help comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

FidoQ

17 REPLIES 17

"I prefer new but what are the thoughts on used lenses?"

If you know the history of the lens they can be a good value.  The better Canon lenses are the best bet.  The kit lenses are not good used candidates. Some retailers like KEH give warranties and liberal return policies.

"The Rebels would be awesome especially for the price but just not an option with the lenses and the full frame requirements."

Like what?

If you buy only EF lenses, then that eliminates one problem.  So far you have not given another good reason.

" I have already seen several YT videos and they are so contradictory ..."

Stop watching YT reviews.  You can not trust them.  Plus some of those guys are no more knowledgeable than you are.  We have several people that frequent this forum that are big review readers and watchers, it shows.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@FidoQ wrote:

Forgot to ask, any recomendations for the next camera based on what I said in original post?

You do not need a new camera.  Your sons steered you toward that camera because it is a good camera.  When it was first released it was hit with YouTubers because it was the first full frame DSLR with a fully rotating screen. Ignore the noise on the internet.  The 6D2 is a really good camera.

The 6D2 has a touch screen.  You could see yourself and adjust the video without getiing up to stop the video, make changes in the menus, restart it and see if you like what yoiu see.  It does not overheat and eat batteries like Sony cameras do. 

Keep the camera.  You do not need a new one.  Your sons would not steer you into a ditch.  You do not need 4K video or Ib-Body-Image-Stabilization, IBIS, either, Not for YouTube or social media, most definitely not.

As for a macro lens, go for the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM.  Or you could use extension tubes, as previously suggested.  If you want to shoot plates of food, then I suggest a good tripod, preferably one with a rotating center column so that it can reach out over a table.  Take a look at the Manfrotto 190 or 055 models.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" Your sons would not steer you into a ditch."

I disagree, they did steer you wrong..  Claiming a Rebel T7i or a 90D won't do because it isn't FF is just misguided advice.

Again about the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, a true macro lens with 1:1 reproduction doesn't focus much closer if at all then a standard 50mm lens.  Even the kit lens can focus pretty close.  If you don't need macro abilities you don't need a true macro lens. True macro lenses are basically a single purpose and use lens. The do one thing well.

EB

FidoQ
Contributor

LOL, I tink I may be a better cook than a communicator haha. 

I am going to buy a second camera and probably two lenses

I want something decent for video and pictures,the 6D is already that and I am happy with it but;

Can I get something a little better for close to the same money?

I'm not very geeky and am new to cameras and such but the little I read and understand the Rebels are not full fame correct? If so then it's not an option for a few reasons but nother major conideration is if I decide in six months I have better thing to do I'll have better esale on a full frame or I'll give my kids something more useful to them. 

Just my thoughts and I do sincerely appreciate all the replys and suggestions here and that's why I am asking here and I did read quiet a bit on the forum before asking so me asking means I value and respect your opinions way more than youtube. 

Thanks

FidoQ

"I am going to buy a second camera and probably two lenses

I want something decent for video and pictures,the 6D is already that and I am happy with it but;

Can I get something a little better for close to the same money?"

Define "a little better."  

The 6D2 is a great camera, capable of some great shots.  Some people do not like it simply because it is not generally regarded as a professional grade camera.  If that is what you are looking for, then the 6D2 is not for you.  Like I said before, I do not feel your sons would steer you wrong.

The only other FF camera that Canon offers near that price point is the mirrorless EOS RP.  I think the RP is an excellent camera for owners of APS-C bodies looking for an upgrade path to a full frame body.  I would go for another 6D2, instead of an RP.

I prefer having a full frame sensor over an APS=C sensor for the wider angle of view, and the lower noise at higher ISO settings.  I do not think you would like the image quality from an APS-C sensor after using the 6D2.

As i had said earlier the 90D is mentioned often here as is the 80D.

The 90 and the 6D2 are both priced at $1199.00 and the 80D at $999.00 on the Canon website and also on BH Photo website. 

Was just looking for feedback on the 90 and 80 since they are about the same price range. My budget for another camera is 1400-1600 range for body only. Not interested in a morrorless at this time. 

What do guys think about BH photo video cmpany? Good place to buy from?

Thanks

@FidoQ wrote:

As i had said earlier the 90D is mentioned often here as is the 80D.

The 90 and the 6D2 are both priced at $1199.00 and the 80D at $999.00 on the Canon website and also on BH Photo website. 

Was just looking for feedback on the 90 and 80 since they are about the same price range. My budget for another camera is 1400-1600 range for body only. Not interested in a morrorless at this time. 

What do guys think about BH photo video cmpany? Good place to buy from?

Thanks

B&H in NYC is a reputable Canon dealer.  They are the biggest Canon dealer in the USA.  I buy all of my. Canon gear form either B&H, or direct from Canon via their Online Refurbished EStore.  You will not find the 90D in the Refurbished store, but both the 80D and 6D2 are both on sale in the Canon Refurbished Store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras#face... 

"What do guys think about BH photo video cmpany?"

Great!

"Good place to buy from?"

Yes!

As are several other big on-line stores in NY.  Adorama, Roberts (not NY) for a couple. Even your local Best Buy for new gear.

Perhaps you have a local private camera shop.  They are probably going to be a little higher cost but the best have hands no customer service which is worth something. They have new and used gear.

When I got my first 150-600mm I bought it at my local camera store, Overland Photo Supply. It did cost me $50 more than B&H but they let me handle it and try it out before purchasing.

EB
Announcements