cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LR3 cannot read RAW from 5D3

Eaglewing
Contributor

Just collected my new 5D3 less than a week ago and I am very pleased with the camera so far.

I do have a unpleasant surprise though. While trying to import RAW files to LR3 I have this response:

" The files are from a camera which is not recognised by the RAW format supported in Lightroom".

Do I need to purchase the latest LR or is there any free upgrade from LR online.

I would rather stick with LR as I have several years of photos managed in LR. I have no problem working with DNG files fom Leica M9.

Any sugestions is much appreciated.

Edwin Ho - Perth, Western Australia
5D, 5D III, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, 580 EX II
Lightroom 6, Photoshop Elements 10
And others.
25 REPLIES 25

"Well, there's obviously some confusion here. In DPP, "DLO" stands for "Digital Lighting Optimizer". " 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was pretty obvious that I was talking about the Digital Lens Optimizer, though. 

BTW, the tool in DPP is actually called ALO, "Automatic Lighting Optimizer", not DLO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Principle of the Digital Lens Optimizer

After passing the lens and various filters, the light has diverted from the ideal condition as it reaches the image sensor where the image will be formed. This is due to the influence of factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and the low-pass filter. If these influences can be compensated for using highly precise and specific data, the result ideally would be the original and optimal image. This is the unique principle behind the Digital Lens Optimizer. Factors contributing to optical image deterioration as the light passes through the lenses and filters in the camera were identified and converted into mathematical functions (optical transfer functions (OTF)). By applying the inverse functions to the captured image, the state of the light (image quality) can be returned to approach the state that the incident light had before entering the camera.

The factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and low-pass filter influence differ for different lenses and cameras, and they also are dependent on shooting parameters. The Digital Lens Optimizer therefore uses inverse functions that are carefully optimized and based on precise data. This makes it possible to compensate even for complex and asymmetric aberrations such as coma.

Main optical factors

Canon Digital Lens Optimizer

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Well, there's obviously some confusion here. In DPP, "DLO" stands for "Digital Lighting Optimizer". " 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was pretty obvious that I was talking about the Digital Lens Optimizer, though. 

BTW, the tool in DPP is actually called ALO, "Automatic Lighting Optimizer", not DLO.

You're right; my error. I even looked it up last night, but I must have been even sleepier than I thought I was.

But every embarrassment has a silver lining, I guess. When I looked again this morning after reading your reply, I discovered that I hadn't loaded the lens correction data on my new Windows 10 laptop. (I wish the installation program would add that to the list of options.) So at least I got that fixed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you, I was also provided with the link by from Adobe Forum too. All good now.

5D, 5D III, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, 580 EX II
And others.

Yes I have upgraded to LR6 stand alone at have the price of a new purchase, thank you.

And others.

@TTMartin wrote:

There is a work around. You can convert your 5D Mk III RAWs to DNG using the 'Adobe DNG Converter' then import the DNGs into Lightroom. But, I would advise just upgrading the latest version of LR. Since you already have LR there is an upgrade price, that as I recall is about half off the full retail price. 

Hey, I did just that as you have suggested... upgrade as I still have the SN of LR3, thank you.

And others.
Announcements