Canon Community Canon Community

Respected Contributor

Re: LR3 cannot read RAW from 5D3

@Waddizzle wrote:

I always wonder which package has the better lens correction for Canon lenses, DPP or LR.  I have not seen compensation, or recognition, for using Canon extenders with "L" series lenses in LR as of yet.  But, DPP has it built in.

It is my understanding that Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer corrects for more than Lightroom does. However DLO only works with Canon lenses, and I have a number of Sigma lenses, so that's why I normally use Lightroom. Prior to LR 4, I felt DPP did a much better job at RAW conversion than Lightroom did. With LR 4 and later I don't see as much of a difference.

VIP

"It is my understanding that Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer corrects for more than Lightroom does."  

Canon's DLO has a hidden surprise feature associated with it, which probably explains why it can seem to work with more lenses.  When you use DLO, then any lens correciton gets ignored.  You use one, or the other, not both.  I guess DLO is present so that you can apply some sort of correction to non-Canon lenses, because only Canon lenses are the DPP lens correction database.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

"It is my understanding that Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer corrects for more than Lightroom does."  

Canon's DLO has a hidden surprise feature associated with it, which probably explains why it can seem to work with more lenses.  When you use DLO, then any lens correciton gets ignored.  You use one, or the other, not both.  I guess DLO is present so that you can apply some sort of correction to non-Canon lenses, because only Canon lenses are the DPP lens correction database.

Well, there's obviously some confusion here. In DPP, "DLO" stands for "Digital Lighting Optimizer". It's a semi-automatic brightness adjustment and has nothing to do with lens correction. You can set it to any of three levels of strength. Using Auto Gamma Adjustment turns it off, but you can turn it back on afterwards without reversing the auto-gamma effect.

Auto Gamma Adjustment was introduced in DPP Version 4, but DLO has been around for as long as I can remember. (Although in DPP 3 the slider that sets it is in an out-of-the-way location.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP

[ Edited ]

"Well, there's obviously some confusion here. In DPP, "DLO" stands for "Digital Lighting Optimizer". " 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was pretty obvious that I was talking about the Digital Lens Optimizer, though. 

BTW, the tool in DPP is actually called ALO, "Automatic Lighting Optimizer", not DLO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor

Principle of the Digital Lens Optimizer

After passing the lens and various filters, the light has diverted from the ideal condition as it reaches the image sensor where the image will be formed. This is due to the influence of factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and the low-pass filter. If these influences can be compensated for using highly precise and specific data, the result ideally would be the original and optimal image. This is the unique principle behind the Digital Lens Optimizer. Factors contributing to optical image deterioration as the light passes through the lenses and filters in the camera were identified and converted into mathematical functions (optical transfer functions (OTF)). By applying the inverse functions to the captured image, the state of the light (image quality) can be returned to approach the state that the incident light had before entering the camera.

The factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and low-pass filter influence differ for different lenses and cameras, and they also are dependent on shooting parameters. The Digital Lens Optimizer therefore uses inverse functions that are carefully optimized and based on precise data. This makes it possible to compensate even for complex and asymmetric aberrations such as coma.

Main optical factors

Canon Digital Lens Optimizer

Honored Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Well, there's obviously some confusion here. In DPP, "DLO" stands for "Digital Lighting Optimizer". " 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was pretty obvious that I was talking about the Digital Lens Optimizer, though. 

BTW, the tool in DPP is actually called ALO, "Automatic Lighting Optimizer", not DLO.

You're right; my error. I even looked it up last night, but I must have been even sleepier than I thought I was.

But every embarrassment has a silver lining, I guess. When I looked again this morning after reading your reply, I discovered that I hadn't loaded the lens correction data on my new Windows 10 laptop. (I wish the installation program would add that to the list of options.) So at least I got that fixed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA