cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LR3 cannot read RAW from 5D3

Eaglewing
Contributor

Just collected my new 5D3 less than a week ago and I am very pleased with the camera so far.

I do have a unpleasant surprise though. While trying to import RAW files to LR3 I have this response:

" The files are from a camera which is not recognised by the RAW format supported in Lightroom".

Do I need to purchase the latest LR or is there any free upgrade from LR online.

I would rather stick with LR as I have several years of photos managed in LR. I have no problem working with DNG files fom Leica M9.

Any sugestions is much appreciated.

Edwin Ho - Perth, Western Australia
5D, 5D III, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, 580 EX II
Lightroom 6, Photoshop Elements 10
And others.
25 REPLIES 25

"Since you already have LR there is an upgrade price, that as I recall is about half off the full retail price. " 

If that upgrade discount from LR3 to LR6 is anything like the "discount" that I was offered to upgrade PSE 10 to PSE 14, then that discount does not exist.  Adobe wanted the regular price, or the sale price is one was offered.  I got the impression that the discount is only actually available to owners of the previous version, not the older ones.

Correction.  You can purchase a stand alone version of the latest PS, without enrolling in the Creative Cloud.  Adobe will sell you a copy for the equivlent of about the cost of 7 years of leasing the PS/LR CC combo package.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Since you already have LR there is an upgrade price, that as I recall is about half off the full retail price. " 

If that upgrade discount from LR3 to LR6 is anything like the "discount" that I was offered to upgrade PSE 10 to PSE 14, then that discount does not exist.  Adobe wanted the regular price, or the sale price is one was offered.  I got the impression that the discount is only actually available to owners of the previous version, not the older ones.

Correction.  You can purchase a stand alone version of the latest PS, without enrolling in the Creative Cloud.  Adobe will sell you a copy for the equivlent of about the cost of 7 years of leasing the PS/LR CC combo package.

I upgraded from LR 4 to LR 6 (in the last 6 months) for $70 as I recall.

edit: correction is was $79

Here's how to find it:
Go to Adobe.com.

At the very bottom of the page click 'Products'
Click “Buy” under “Lightroom 6 – $149″.
Next to “I want to buy:”, change it from “Full” to “Upgrade”.
In “I own” pulldown, select the version of Lightroom you own.
Check-out at $79 and download!

@TTMartin wrote:

Here's how to find it:
Go to Adobe.com.

I always wonder which package has the better lens correction for Canon lenses, DPP or LR.  I have not seen compensation, or recognition, for using Canon extenders with "L" series lenses in LR as of yet.  But, DPP has it built in.

[EDIT]  I must have the Midas touch, or something.  For the past month, every time I give a Kudo, it racks up as a double.

I would think that Canon has more access to lenses and design info, but they might care more about in-camera processing. Canon also has the Digital Optimiser which can correct for diffraction effects.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

Here's how to find it:
Go to Adobe.com.

I always wonder which package has the better lens correction for Canon lenses, DPP or LR.  I have not seen compensation, or recognition, for using Canon extenders with "L" series lenses in LR as of yet.  But, DPP has it built in.

[EDIT]  I must have the Midas touch, or something.  For the past month, every time I give a Kudo, it racks up as a double.

I think it's related to your progress through the "Contributor" levels. Somewhere along the way, I started noticing the same effect.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Well geez. If you have magic kudos powers, then kudo me bro!  

😉

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@Waddizzle wrote:

It is my understanding that Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer corrects for more than Lightroom does. However DLO only works with Canon lenses, and I have a number of Sigma lenses, so that's why I normally use Lightroom. Prior to LR 4, I felt DPP did a much better job at RAW conversion than Lightroom did. With LR 4 and later I don't see as much of a difference.

"It is my understanding that Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer corrects for more than Lightroom does."  

Canon's DLO has a hidden surprise feature associated with it, which probably explains why it can seem to work with more lenses.  When you use DLO, then any lens correciton gets ignored.  You use one, or the other, not both.  I guess DLO is present so that you can apply some sort of correction to non-Canon lenses, because only Canon lenses are the DPP lens correction database.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"It is my understanding that Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer corrects for more than Lightroom does."  

Canon's DLO has a hidden surprise feature associated with it, which probably explains why it can seem to work with more lenses.  When you use DLO, then any lens correciton gets ignored.  You use one, or the other, not both.  I guess DLO is present so that you can apply some sort of correction to non-Canon lenses, because only Canon lenses are the DPP lens correction database.

Well, there's obviously some confusion here. In DPP, "DLO" stands for "Digital Lighting Optimizer". It's a semi-automatic brightness adjustment and has nothing to do with lens correction. You can set it to any of three levels of strength. Using Auto Gamma Adjustment turns it off, but you can turn it back on afterwards without reversing the auto-gamma effect.

Auto Gamma Adjustment was introduced in DPP Version 4, but DLO has been around for as long as I can remember. (Although in DPP 3 the slider that sets it is in an out-of-the-way location.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements