cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LR3 cannot read RAW from 5D3

Eaglewing
Contributor

Just collected my new 5D3 less than a week ago and I am very pleased with the camera so far.

I do have a unpleasant surprise though. While trying to import RAW files to LR3 I have this response:

" The files are from a camera which is not recognised by the RAW format supported in Lightroom".

Do I need to purchase the latest LR or is there any free upgrade from LR online.

I would rather stick with LR as I have several years of photos managed in LR. I have no problem working with DNG files fom Leica M9.

Any sugestions is much appreciated.

Edwin Ho - Perth, Western Australia
5D, 5D III, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, 580 EX II
Lightroom 6, Photoshop Elements 10
And others.
25 REPLIES 25

ScottyP
Authority

You have to buy the latest version of Lightroom or get on the Adobe subscription software rental service (if you like that).  Adobe only provides support for new cameras for current versions of Lightroom.  The 5d3 was released after LR3 was already replaced by LR 4 so they will never support the 5d3 camera raw on LR3. 

You our could do a fiddly work around converting RAW to TIFF with the Canon processing program and then taking them over to LR but I'd certainly just spring for LR6. 

Congrats on on the new camera!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you Scott for the information. As much as I would like to continue with LR, I may hold off for a little while and make use of the free software DPP, at least for now. I will continue to use LR3 for DNG files from my Leica M9.

My priority now is to get to know the 5D3; just got back-button-focus set up and currently getting used to shoot with two cards - RAW on CF and JPEG on SD in record separately mode. Love the various AF options - trying to narrow down to a sensible choice of two or three...... and practise using them.

5D, 5D III, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, 580 EX II
And others.

May have to abandon the idea of using DPP. Just could not get used to it.

I guess I have no choice but to purchase a new copy of LR6.

And others.

Whoa there, Sport, before you invest in LR6.  I have noticed that you have PSE 10 listed in your signature.  I have been there and done that.  A word of warning, though.  I come from the old school that doesn't like "renting" software, such as like the "Creative Cloud" recurring revenue scheme that Adobe has created.

I had an old laptop, wihch I belated discovered had PSE 10 installed on it.  It must have come with it, but since I never used that laptop [someone else did] I never noticed until recently when I upgraded the OS, from Windows Home to Windows Pro.

I purchased LR6, wihch has no local Help files.  All of the help files for LR6 are online, which is a minor inconvenience.  The big pain in the neck was that all of the Help files for PSE 10 were also online.  The problem is that all of the online Help is for the latest version of Photoshop  CC, not for Photoshop Elements.  I wasn't even linked to the Help files for the latest version of PSE. 

I kept getting links to upgrade, to upgrade, to upgrade, and so I looked into it, and that is when Creative Cloud reared its' head and shouted, "Gotcha!"  You cannot purchase a stand alone version of Photoshop.  You can purchase the latest Photoshop Elements 14, which has a few added bells and shiny lights over PSE 10.   If you purchase Photoshop CC, then LR6 will automatically come with it. 

You're going to wind up buy Lightroom twice if you later purchase Photoshop CC.  CAUTION.  If you purchase LR6, then do not, I REPEAT DO NOT, try out the 30-Day trial for Creative Cloud.  Nasty things happen to your stand alone license for LR6 when the trial expires.  For example, LR6 will no longer automatically update ACR, anymore, nor will it accept any ACR updates, even if you try to update them manually.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle, I opted for the simple path and upgraded to LR6 at AUD99.00. I do have PSE 10 but don't use much of it.

And others.

@Eaglewing wrote:

May have to abandon the idea of using DPP. Just could not get used to it.

I guess I have no choice but to purchase a new copy of LR6.

Do what you have to do, but I couldn't help noticing that the elapsed time between your "Maybe I'll try DPP" message and this one saying you couldn't get used to it was only 121 minutes. Some might consider that level of impatience to be a wee bit self-defeating.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Do what you have to do, but I couldn't help noticing that the elapsed time between your "Maybe I'll try DPP" message and this one saying you couldn't get used to it was only 121 minutes. Some might consider that level of impatience to be a wee bit self-defeating.

Hey Bob, point noted and I appreciate your comment. I might have come across as impatient. I do have the DPP on my PC for some years but never seem to get accustomed to it and eventually switched to LR3. Others who are using DPP may feel otherwise and that is fine with me; and that makes us photogs different in so many ways.

I would say my personal preference is LR perhaps because of familiarity. But still I gave the DPP a try since I have the latest version that came free with 5D3. And that was what I did during the elapsed time of 121 minutes. I do marvel at your forensic instinct. Also I may have a shoot coming up soon and do not want be left without a software that I am used. I chose to make a quick decision once I realised I missed using LR. Moreover I had to work the next morning, hence would very much wanted to have the matter resolved as quickly as possible.

All said, I have contacted Adobe Forum last night and was sent a link for an upgrade. All done at AUD99.00 for an upgrade to LR6 and now residing in my PC.

Bob, I will definitely visit this site from time to time I do look forward to reading your contribution.

Regards,

Edwin

And others.

Hi Scott,

Pleased to advise I have upgraded LR3 to LR6 at an upgrade cost of AUD99.00. Thank you for the information you provided.

And others.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Eaglewing wrote:

Just collected my new 5D3 less than a week ago and I am very pleased with the camera so far.

I do have a unpleasant surprise though. While trying to import RAW files to LR3 I have this response:

" The files are from a camera which is not recognised by the RAW format supported in Lightroom".

Do I need to purchase the latest LR or is there any free upgrade from LR online.

I would rather stick with LR as I have several years of photos managed in LR. I have no problem working with DNG files fom Leica M9.

Any sugestions is much appreciated.

There is a work around. You can convert your 5D Mk III RAWs to DNG using the 'Adobe DNG Converter' then import the DNGs into Lightroom. But, I would advise just upgrading the latest version of LR. Since you already have LR there is an upgrade price, that as I recall is about half off the full retail price. 

Announcements