cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP-E6n's dying

HeathC
Apprentice

I currently have 4 bricked LP-E6n's. 3 of them are new. I have talked to Canon and CPS and nothing I have tried has helped. My assistant thinks using a 3rd party charger is the problem but the one third party charger I have has been in use for years with no problems. Anyway, I'm not using it anymore and would really like to find a way to revive these batteries if anyonwwhas any ideas. 

Heath

19 REPLIES 19

TTMartin wrote,

The Wasabi charger charges the batteries to a higher voltage than the Canon charger does. For example at my charging station I have two genuine Canon chargers and one Wasabi charger. When I'm charging the Wasabi batteries I put one in the Wasabi charger and one in the Canon charger. When they show done, I transfer the Wasabi battery that was in the Canon charger into the Wasabi charger, where it charges for an additional 15+ minutes before it shows charged. 

The third party charger killed your Canon batteries by over charging them to a voltage they are not designed for.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

You really do not understand how battery chargers work !

The maximum voltage output from a battery is fixed by the physical and chemical make-up of the battery, it is not possible to charge a battery to store a higher voltage than the battery is designed to produce.

An intelligent charger will repeatedly check the battery capacity during charging and will turn off or reduce the charging  current once a preset limit has been reached. The difference between your 2 chargers is because the trigger point of that preset limit is slightly different between the two. Also the action of removing the battery from a charger when it shows as full and then refitting back to the same charger can cause the charger to go back into charging mode for a short time because the trigger circuit has to have time to reach the trigger point again.

Although batteries have to be charged at a certain voltage it is the charge current that is more important and a charger that exceeds the maximum charging current will cause the battery to get too hot, this is usually what damages the battery.

@Ray-uk wrote:

The maximum voltage output from a battery is fixed by the physical and chemical make-up of the battery, it is not possible to charge a battery to store a higher voltage than the battery is designed to produce.

Okey Dokey, let me fix that for you.

The maximum voltage output from a battery is fixed by the physical and chemical make-up of the battery, it is not possible to charge a battery to store a higher voltage than the battery is designed to produce, without damaging it.

An intelligent charger will repeatedly check the battery capacity during charging and will turn off or reduce the charging  current once a preset limit has been reached. The difference between your 2 chargers is because the trigger point of that preset limit is slightly different between the two. Also the action of removing the battery from a charger when it shows as full and then refitting back to the same charger can cause the charger to go back into charging mode for a short time because the trigger circuit has to have time to reach the trigger point again.

And the trigger point of the Wasabi charger(s) is set too high for Canon batteries and damages them.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@HeathC wrote:

I currently have 4 bricked LP-E6n's. 3 of them are new. I have talked to Canon and CPS and nothing I have tried has helped. My assistant thinks using a 3rd party charger is the problem but the one third party charger I have has been in use for years with no problems. Anyway, I'm not using it anymore and would really like to find a way to revive these batteries if anyonwwhas any ideas. 

Heath

Yep, the third party charger is the issue.

I charge my Canon batteries in Canon chargers, and my third party Wasabi batteries in their charger.

Stephen

Hi Heath,

When and where, exactly, were these batteries purchased? 

Have you purchased a genuine Canon charger to remedy this situation yet? 

I think at least 1- 2 of them came with my 5d4, 80d or 5d3, I think the others were from Amazon. I had 5 Canon Chargers but now I only have 3 since I sold some cameras and included chargers. 

The charger that I suspect is called a "Dual-ion+".  I have had it for a long time but never had a problem.  The first thing I noticed was the batteries on the Canon chargers geting the fast blink. 

I just checked to make sure and all the bad batteries are LP-E6N, not LP-E6. Looks like the suspect charger does not hurt the LP-E6's

Heath

@HeathC wrote:

I think at least 1- 2 of them came with my 5d4, 80d or 5d3, I think the others were from Amazon. I had 5 Canon Chargers but now I only have 3 since I sold some cameras and included chargers. 

The charger that I suspect is called a "Dual-ion+".  I have had it for a long time but never had a problem.  The first thing I noticed was the batteries on the Canon chargers geting the fast blink. 

I just checked to make sure and all the bad batteries are LP-E6N, not LP-E6. Looks like the suspect charger does not hurt the LP-E6's

Heath

Amazon batteries?  That could be the whole problem, right there.  Even though Amazon, and eBay, tried to weed out vendors of ill repute, there are some that slip through the cracks.  Many of them don't sell counterfeit stuff, they just sell bad stuff.

I am not surprised that the third party can charge LP-E6 batteries.  That's why Canon phased them out for the LP-E6(N) batteries.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@HeathC wrote:

Heath

I would agree with your assessment that the LP-E6N's seem to be especially sensitive to overcharging. Like you I hadn't noticed an issue until the LP-E6N. That's why I went to only using a Canon charger on Canon batteries, and the Wasabi's seemed to under charge on the Canon chargers, which is why I charge them / top them off on the Wasabi charger.

@TTMartin wrote:

@HeathC wrote:

Heath

I would agree with your assessment that the LP-E6N's seem to be especially sensitive to overcharging. Like you I hadn't noticed an issue until the LP-E6N. That's why I went to only using a Canon charger on Canon batteries, and the Wasabi's seemed to under charge on the Canon chargers, which is why I charge them / top them off on the Wasabi charger.

Whether this has any relevance, I couldn't say. But Canon didn't issue a new version of their charger when they introduced the "N" version of the battery.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Maybe the new batteries downloaded new firmware into the charger. 8^)

rrbond07
Apprentice

I had purchased 4 LP-E6N batteries.  After charging up two of them, they would not power up my Canon EOS 7D Mark II or EOS R.  I purchased them from Adorama and their listing says the batteries are compatible, but they are not.  I sent them back and ordering the LP-E6 instead.

Announcements