cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP-E6N longevity

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

Most manufacturers of devices made that utilize lithium/lithium-ion batteries suggest that batteries remain in their charger for longevity, or to leave the device plugged into an AC source.

What about Canon’s LP-E6N? Should I leave them in the charger, or once charged remove them and put them in my kit?

I’ve asked Canon Professional Services this question and usually get “uhhhhh...” for an answer.

What’s your recommendation?

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
26 REPLIES 26

@Peter wrote:

@iris wrote:

I also rotate my batteries and frequently check their viability in camera under the yellow menu called Batttery INfo...I register my batteries in camera so as to keep track of those losing viability .....

Question...on the back of the LP-E6N battery is a little silver colored rectangular square with 6 numbers in it:   I have surmised that the numbers there represent the date the battery was produced?

Can anyone verify that???   

製造日期 is written to the left of the six numbers, so yes, you are right. On some batteries only Korean hangul are written but I have never studied the Korean language.

Neither have I, but I'm pretty sure that what you've quoted there is Chinese. not Korean. Or conceivably Japanese, whose kanji characters often resemble Chinese. But Japanese text usually includes some word endings in hirigana or katagana. (Forgive my probable misspellings. My only exposure to Japanese was very long ago.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Peter
Authority
Authority
Stored correctly (not fully charged) you will not loose much if the battery is one or two years old.

Store NOT fully charged?

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

iris
Enthusiast
It seems to me that one's minimum expectation for the age of their new 70 dollar canon battery upon purchase should be no more than 12 to 18 months!! Selling batteries that have been on the shelf two years or more is unconsionable...

Peter
Authority
Authority
Store it fully charged at 25 degrees Celsius, 80% left after 1 year.
Store it 40% charged at 25 degrees Celsius, 96% left after 1 year.

Peter
Authority
Authority

The quoted one is kanji. Even if I have lived in Japan I still can't see the difference everytime between Chinese kanji and Japanese kanji. Hiragana helps. On some but absolutely not all batteries: kanji to the left, hangul in the middle and the date to the right. On some others, hangul to the left, date to the right.

Announcements