cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LENS CLEANING?

jimsaloha
Contributor

My Canon 7D manual, says don't clean lenses with any organic solvent.

I have been using PurSol optical cleaner for just about everything I have.

Have not used it on any lenses yet.  It works fantastic on all other optics I have used it on.  It is organic based.

What damage could it do to a camera lens?

Thanks,

Jim

Canon 7D
Canon18-135 STM, 70-200 F2.8
2X Extender
580EX
Canon Elph 330HS
Canon Elph SD750
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

WahoGT
Enthusiast
The most likely issue is damage to the lens coatings on the glass. That said, I have cleaned mine with isopropyl alcohol in the past without ill effects, if it was really gunky. I mostly just use a rocket blower and microfiber cloth made for lens cleaning though.

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You probably wont need a cleaning solution at all.  I use a few puffs of a hand-squeezed blower -- and if that doesn't do the trick a micro-fiber cloth usually will.  If there's anything stubborn, just fog the lens with your breath and that will almost surely do the trick.

While I do have some good cleaning supplies (e.g. "Eclipse" cleaning solution is outstanding because it's nearly pure methanol and leaves no residue behind), I generally _never_ need to use it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

Purosol lens cleaning solution is probably perfectly safe to use.

I believe Canon's warnings are against using stronger solvents such as acetone, lacquer thinner, etc. You certainly don't want to use those on your lenses.

Yes, it's often possible to clean lenses adequately without any sort of fluid. However, it's best to use a bulb blower or soft brush to get specks of dust off before doing any sort of wiping. Those specks of dust might be hard materials that can scratch, there's no sense rubbing them around on the surface.

And, while I do it occasionally myself, it's not really a good idea to fog the lens with your breath. You are blowing all sorts of biological stuff onto the lens when you do that. The human mouth is one of the dirtiest places on the planet! Just ask any dentist! 

Some things are very hard to clean off lenses.... sea spray and other oily films, especially. Those almost always require some sort of cleaning fluid to properly remove. Don't spray or drip directly onto the lens (too much fluid might find it's way in around the edges of the elements and cause problems inside the lens). Spray or drip on it to dampen the corner of a micro fiber cloth and clean with that, then dry with the remaining part of the cloth.

Sometimes a light haze is left behind by cleaning solutions. This is when a "lens pen" comes in handy, to put a final polish on the lens. Never use one of those on a dusty lens, though, rubbing the grit around on the surface. Only use it for a final polishing. (Canon themselves use similar as a final step during sensor cleanings, too... though it's better to use a "sensor pen" with a square or rectangular pad that gets into the corners better.)

4 REPLIES 4

WahoGT
Enthusiast
The most likely issue is damage to the lens coatings on the glass. That said, I have cleaned mine with isopropyl alcohol in the past without ill effects, if it was really gunky. I mostly just use a rocket blower and microfiber cloth made for lens cleaning though.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You probably wont need a cleaning solution at all.  I use a few puffs of a hand-squeezed blower -- and if that doesn't do the trick a micro-fiber cloth usually will.  If there's anything stubborn, just fog the lens with your breath and that will almost surely do the trick.

While I do have some good cleaning supplies (e.g. "Eclipse" cleaning solution is outstanding because it's nearly pure methanol and leaves no residue behind), I generally _never_ need to use it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

Purosol lens cleaning solution is probably perfectly safe to use.

I believe Canon's warnings are against using stronger solvents such as acetone, lacquer thinner, etc. You certainly don't want to use those on your lenses.

Yes, it's often possible to clean lenses adequately without any sort of fluid. However, it's best to use a bulb blower or soft brush to get specks of dust off before doing any sort of wiping. Those specks of dust might be hard materials that can scratch, there's no sense rubbing them around on the surface.

And, while I do it occasionally myself, it's not really a good idea to fog the lens with your breath. You are blowing all sorts of biological stuff onto the lens when you do that. The human mouth is one of the dirtiest places on the planet! Just ask any dentist! 

Some things are very hard to clean off lenses.... sea spray and other oily films, especially. Those almost always require some sort of cleaning fluid to properly remove. Don't spray or drip directly onto the lens (too much fluid might find it's way in around the edges of the elements and cause problems inside the lens). Spray or drip on it to dampen the corner of a micro fiber cloth and clean with that, then dry with the remaining part of the cloth.

Sometimes a light haze is left behind by cleaning solutions. This is when a "lens pen" comes in handy, to put a final polish on the lens. Never use one of those on a dusty lens, though, rubbing the grit around on the surface. Only use it for a final polishing. (Canon themselves use similar as a final step during sensor cleanings, too... though it's better to use a "sensor pen" with a square or rectangular pad that gets into the corners better.)

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Canon 7D
Canon18-135 STM, 70-200 F2.8
2X Extender
580EX
Canon Elph 330HS
Canon Elph SD750
Announcements