cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD screen protector

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

My various Canon EOS DSLR bodies see a lot of use under various conditions, mostly sports, but last week was the first time I was really glad I always put a tempered glass protector on the rear LCD of new bodies as soon as I get them.  My daughter had a day off from school and we decided to take advantage of the nice Fall weather and go hunting for geodes in a stream near Keokuk Iowa.  I brought my 5DS R along and near the end of the day, a piece of a geode I had just picked up fell off taking the worst possible path and it bounced off the back of the display screen.  It cracked the protector but the display underneath was pristine and today I replaced the protector.

I put them on primarily so I could use whatever was handy in the field to wipe moisture/debris off the screen which is also the primary reason all of my smaller lenses have front mount clear "filters" which are of high quality but are still "consumable/disposable" from my point of view compared to the front lens element. 

The rear display is fairly easy and inexpensive to replace so cracking one isn't the end of the camera and a protector won't protect against severe hits but it is cheap insurance and in this case it worked for me.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
11 REPLIES 11

"Not much different than using protecto filters on the front of your lenses."

Exactly!  I put both on for the same reason, a little added protection against damage but primarily to allow easy field cleaning without scratching or otherwise damaging an expensive part.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@MikeSowsun wrote:

The rear LCD on many Canon cameras is covered with a clear glass overlay which is replaceable. The 5D Mk III is very similar to the 5DS R and I would be curious to know how much a good "protector" costs compared to the actual Canon replacement part.

DBEC5587-A230-4E33-845E-33FA232A067B.jpeg

Many models later than 5D Mark III/1D Mark IV vintage have a new ClearView LCD that doesn't have that replaceable plastic cover.

Screenshot 2020-10-09 093848.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements