cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD screen goes to black on 60D when shutter release is plugged in

pixeltaker
Contributor

I discovered this when I was shooting the eclipse the other night.  I have a 60D.  All was well, viewing through the tilt-out LCD screen until I plugged in the remote shutter release.  I also activated the mirror lock up.  Not only did the LCD screen go black but the top read-out didn't light up either.  Does this have something to do with trying to take a long exposure?  Or is it camera malfunction?

3 REPLIES 3

Tim
Authority

Hello Pixeltaker, 

You may wish to cycle through the display by pressing the <INFO> button.  If the issue persists then you may wish to set up Service through the Canon web site.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

We might need more info.

What type of shutter release is this?  Is it a Canon product or third party?  Does this shutter release have the 2.5mm sub-mini "stereo" jack or is this something you are connected to the USB port?

I have seen cameras disable the LCD display when the camera is being operated via "tethering" (remote control from a computer -- usually via a wired USB connectIon), but I have not seen a camera disable the LCD screen when a wired shutter release cable is connected to the remote shutter release jack.

When composing a shot using the viewfinder, the light enters the lens, hits the reflex mirror which reflects the image up and onto the focus screen.  That image is visible through the penta-mirror or penta-prism (depending on camera model) and visible through the viewfinder to your eye.

When you use mirro lock-up mode, you have to press the shutter button twice to take one expsosure.  

The first time you press the shutter button, the reflex mirror swings up and this blocks the focusing screen.  It is no longer possible to see anything through the viewfinder.  The shutter, however, is still closed.  The idea behind mirror lock-up mode is that any vibrations causeed by the mirror slap can now have a few moments to settle down.  Since there is nothing to see through the viewfinder, the information displays inside the viewfinder will normally be switched off while the camera waits for you to press the shutter button a second time.  If your rear LCD was in a mode to display normal shooting information, that information normally is still displayed.

The second time you press the shutter button, the camera opens the shutter, captures the exposure, closes the shutter, and returns the mirror down to allow for viewing through the viewfinder.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

It is a 3rd party shutter release, but not connected to USB port. It's connected on the left side of the camera, bottom port - I would call it a "stereo jack".

I use the "back button" (star button) to focus, and then press the remote shutter button all the way down to take the photo.

When you say "rear LCD screen was in a mode to display normal shooting information" did you mean the scene I was trying to shoot, or menu information. I was using the LCD screen to compose the shot.
Announcements