cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD only shows data, NO images

webdzynes
Contributor

Hello - I'm new here and dont know much about cameras. I have an EOS 40D which was working great. It fell off the couch onto the floor and I thought it was fine. However, for no apparent reason, the LCD no longer shows images. It will show all the menu tabs and text etc but no images. I am at a total loss as to what may have happened... I called Canon and to my surprise, they no longer support this camera at all (including parts) so now I am screwed unless its a simple fix...   Any step by step instructions to recommend I try (as a novice)??

30 REPLIES 30

This could be a great option! Is the Digital Rebel XTi a reasonable 'second choice' for options and features the 40D has? Again, as a relative novice, the super high-end options available on the 40D don't matter much since I dont know how to use them anyway... What would I be giving up if I go this route? (Thanks!!)

There seems to be a couple of decent deals currently on some Canon refurbished T6 with lens kits. And they have the same warranty as if they were new. You might even have a choice of colors with the one kit.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6-ef-s-18-55-with-ef-75-300mm-f-4-56-iii-refur...

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6-ef-s-18-55mm-f-35-56-is-ii-kit-refurbished#

I'd guess either kit at less than $400 would be less than repairs on your 40D.

Thank you. Thats a lot more than I was looking to spend but will do so if it makes sense. Is the T6 at $400 that much better an overall camera than the Rebel XTi at $110 for a novice like me? Again, I do have several D40 lenses which need to fit whatever I buy and not go to waste... Thanx! 

@webdzynes wrote:

Thank you. Thats a lot more than I was looking to spend but will do so if it makes sense. Is the T6 at $400 that much better an overall camera than the Rebel XTi at $110 for a novice like me? Again, I do have several D40 lenses which need to fit whatever I buy and not go to waste... Thanx! 

Yes, the T6 is a much better camera than the XTi.  Yes, the T6 is compatible with all of your EOS lenses that fit the 40D.  

The XTi was introduced a year BEFORE the 40D, which means it, too, is no longer serviced by Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wow - Thats GREAT information!!

2 more quick questions. It looks like I can get a T7 for $50 more than the T6. Is it worth it? Secondly, is it standard in the industry to stop parts/service on cameras in this price range (in 10-year or so cycles)? In other words, would I be better off to invest the $400-$450 in a Nikon instead expecting that if I need service in 5 or 10 years, I'll be able to get it - or do they do this too?

Thank you VERY much for the guidance!!

With a Nikon you won't be able to use your lenses, and yes, they do this, too.

Thats good to know!

So now, do I get the T6 or spend the extra $50 and get the T7? It appears the T7 handles about 7 more megapixels per shot and adds a few other features but it doesnt have a lot of reviews. Would you recommend I spend the extra $50 when I'm already over budget and get this or save the 50 and get the T6?  

@webdzynes wrote:

Wow - Thats GREAT information!!

2 more quick questions. It looks like I can get a T7 for $50 more than the T6. Is it worth it? Secondly, is it standard in the industry to stop parts/service on cameras in this price range (in 10-year or so cycles)? In other words, would I be better off to invest the $400-$450 in a Nikon instead expecting that if I need service in 5 or 10 years, I'll be able to get it - or do they do this too?

Thank you VERY much for the guidance!!

One of the most common reasons for electronics manufacturers to end produce support is the lack available spare electronic parts.  Many integrated circuit chips that were widely available a decade ago are no longer being manufactured today. 

Electronics manufacturers do not manufacture every component that might go into a product.  They might manufacture their own mission critical electronic components, like an image sensor.  But, most of the components on the electronic boards are typical off-the-shelf components.

As previously noted, all manufacturers go through this.  By law in most countries, they are only required to provide support for a minimum number of years, typically 7 years.  There are allowances for exceptions when their supply chains are broken, such as when electronics components are no longer manufactured.

[EDIT]  I think the T7 for only a little bit more would be a good buy.  But, where is this price being offered?  It is hard to beat the prices in the Canon Online Store's Refurbished department.  

Prices that are too good to be true usually are not.  If the vendor is not an authorized dealer, you most likely will not have a warranty with the product.  You may not even receive a fully functional unit, complete with all of the standard Canon branded accesories.  Buyer beware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Its on Amazon for $449:   [link removed per forum guidelines]

Thank you for the explanation. The more I learn, the more I realize what I dont know. I very much appreciate the help!  Looks like the T7 is the logical next step!!

Its sold on Amazon for $449. What I dont understand is why other older models (like the T5) are still sold for much more ($699)...

Announcements