cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD doesn't go off when I raise the D90 to my eye

windycityart
Contributor

I"ve had a bunch of EOS Reble and they always autmatically turned off the LCD display when I raised the camera to my eye to look through the viewfinder.

My new EOS 90d doesn't do this.  Is there a setting for this or is it just not a feature>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got an answer from Canon support which says

"Just like Canon's Professional series line of camera's the EOS 90D does not have an eyepiece sensor to turn off the LCD screen and requires the info button to be pressed in order to turn off the LCD screen while shooting photos through the viewfinder."

So, I guess that's it.  Thanks for your time.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@windycityart wrote:

I"ve had a bunch of EOS Reble and they always autmatically turned off the LCD display when I raised the camera to my eye to look through the viewfinder.

My new EOS 90d doesn't do this.  Is there a setting for this or is it just not a feature>

A common cause is that the rubber eyepiece is mispositioned. Make sure it's fully seated.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks I took it off and put it back on and seemed to be pretty solid but that didn't make any difference.

Tim
Authority

hello windycityart, 

Based on your description of this issue we recommend sending the unit in for service.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

www.usa.canon.com/service

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

"Just like Canon's Professional series line of camera's the EOS 90D does not have an eyepiece sensor to turn off the LCD screen and requires the info button to be pressed in order to turn off the LCD screen while shooting photos through the viewfinder."

@windycityart wrote:

My recollection is that the shutoff "feature" wasn't there because it was thought to be a convenience for the user. Like the rubber eyepiece cover that attaches to the neck strap, it was meant to keep light from the screen from leaking in through the eyepiece and biasing the metering. Perhaps the newer, better cameras are considered to be sufficiently insulated from spurious light that the shutoff is unnecessary. Note that if the screen serves as a touchscreen, you might specifically not want the shutoff.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements