cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just sold my EOS 1DS Mark II...need a viable replacement that shoots video. Any suggestions?

shineheadbrian
Apprentice

Please help.  Shoot a lot of kid stuff these days, but also do portraiture and occasional landscapes.

1 REPLY 1

Skirball
Authority

I thought the 1d didn't get video until Mark IV?  Are you saying you just want a replacement for the 1DsII but also one that shoots video?  Do you want to stick with full frame or are you ok with crop?  What's your budget?

The best choice is probably the 5d3.  You'd get a huge step up in pretty much everything - AF, high ISO, IQ, etc, and the video is great.  If that's in the budget, I'm sure you'd be happy.

The 6D is a cheaper alternative, sacrificing AF performance, and other things like single card slot and some custimizations that may or may not mean something to you.  The image quality and high ISO performance is every bit as good.  The video is known to have some moire.  Personally it doesn't bother me, but I don't really do videography other than videos of my kids and random such things.  Truthfully, without continuous autofocus, which neither the 5de nor 6D has, I'm more apt to pull out my camera phone for video.

If video is a priority then the 70D would be your choice.  It does have continuous autofocus, and a top of the line live video/video autofocus system.  It doesn't compare to the standard AF of the 5d3, but for live view it's exceptional.  However, it's a crop sensor camera, so that's something to consider.  I'm guessing even your old 1dsII has better high ISO performance than the 70D.

Announcements