cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just purchased 7D mark ii

Actionman0z
Apprentice

Hey everyone! New to the fourm. Looking for some general help

I just bought a Canon 7D mark ii, the reason I bought this camera over others is because of the rugged/durability. I know its good enough to do everything I want it to do, but I want to make sure I pair it with the right equipment.

I want to do nature/landscape photos mainly, with some sports action photos mixed in. I bought a package off amazon, that came with 3 "kit lenses" so I want to know what I need to do to get some upgraded stuff when the time comes. 

I've done 4 days of research, and everything is spread across the board. 

The lenses it came with were: 50 mm, the 18-55, and the 75-300.

Im looking to be snobby and upgrade to some L series, and I would like a 3 piece set to round out what I am doing. I was thinking the 17-40, the 24-105, and the 70-200, what say you? Thanks! 

16 REPLIES 16

@Actionman0z wrote:

Hey everyone! New to the fourm. Looking for some general help

I just bought a Canon 7D mark ii, the reason I bought this camera over others is because of the rugged/durability. I know its good enough to do everything I want it to do, but I want to make sure I pair it with the right equipment.

I want to do nature/landscape photos mainly, with some sports action photos mixed in. I bought a package off amazon, that came with 3 "kit lenses" so I want to know what I need to do to get some upgraded stuff when the time comes. 

I've done 4 days of research, and everything is spread across the board. 

The lenses it came with were: 50 mm, the 18-55, and the 75-300.

Im looking to be snobby and upgrade to some L series, and I would like a 3 piece set to round out what I am doing. I was thinking the 17-40, the 24-105, and the 70-200, what say you? Thanks! 

In your situation I'd get the EF-S 17-55mm f/2,8 IS USM instead of the 17-40.

Keep in mind that the focal lengths of L lenses are chosen to accommodate a full-frame camera, not an APS-C camera like the 7D2. The 17-55 is the best all-around lens for your camera, and I'd buy it unless you're planning an early upgrade to FF (which seems unlikely, since you just bought the 7D2).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Robert said, "In your situation I'd get the 17-55mm f/2,8 instead of the 17-40."

I say absolutely the best lens you can put on a Rebel or 7D series camera. However, you have made one big mistake already so don't blunder into any more.  If possible return the outfit you bought and never buy another one from Amazon. Never!

Go to a known good retailer like Best Buy, B&H, Adorama, Roberts, local camera shop, etc. and buy just the body with no lenses. No accessories. Just the 7D Mk II.

"I want to do nature/landscape photos mainly, with some sports action photos mixed in."

This is specific.  You know exactly what you want your gear to accomplish.  What you got won't and will become frustrating.

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is high on that list of what you need. Get it first.  Another could be the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens or perhaps one of the 150-600mm super zooms.  The last two are specific purpose lenses. That means you need to get the more general lens first whcih is the 17-55mm f/2.8.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

DigiBill
Contributor

As others have suggested the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is an awesome upgrade for your Canon 7d mark ii camera.  The lens is fast and provides beautiful sharp images.

DigiBill
Contributor

Another fantastic upgrade is the Canon 70-200 f4 ii lens. [Removed link per forum guidelines]

DigiBill
Contributor

You might be interested in the Canon 17-55 lens I have for sale.  Click on the link to view the Craigslist ad and aslo see some sample pics I took using the lens on my Canon 7d mark ii camera.

[Removed link per forum guidelines]

Well I feel stupid for having asked. 

@Actionman0z wrote:

Well I feel stupid for having asked. 

Why?  The best advice you have gotten is to return all of it for a refund.  Do you have a factory authorized warranty with the camera gear?  No warranty is a common reason why the gear is discounted below that of authorized Canon dealers.

In the US, you should receive warranty cards that you can fill out and mail in to Canon USA.  Or, you could register your gear online at the web address provided on the warranty cards.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DigiBill
Contributor

ActionmanOZ......

You did not ask a stupid question.  The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Wish I could speak with you via telephone to help provide you with information.  The camera you purchased, Canon 7d Mark ii, is an excellent camera and will provide you you many great imaqges.  The lens that came with the camera are considered "kit lens" and will do a fine job. 

I suggest you start using the camera and lens.  Shoot, shoot and shoot more.  That is the way you learn how to use the camera.  Over time you will begin to learn what type of photography you like best.  Perhaps it will be portraits or maybe landscape or maybe wildlife.  Use each of the 3 lens and learn what they do.  Eventually you will realize what type of photography you enjoy the most and then  you can begin to decide what type lens you need for an upgrade.

I don't know if there is a way to send privates messages via this forum.  If so, send me you telephone number and I would be happy to call you and discuss any questions you have.

Bill

"I suggest you start using the camera and lens."

The problem with that advice is, the OP could not return the outfit if it is used.  OP needs to return it and buy just the 7D Mk II.  Body alone, lenses separately.

"The lens ... are considered "kit lens" and will do a fine job." 

IMHO, as always, the so called "kit" lens are beginner lenses.  The 7D Mk II is far from a "beginner" camera and deserves better lenses. Like the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. The 7D Mk II is almost a full on pro level camera.  It is always best to keep your gear substantially equal in quality.  Make sense? Return it without delay and buy just the camera from one of the sources I posted. Don't buy any camera gear on Amazon.  The problem with Amazon is you never know for sure where the gear comes from. Most of the camera kits and specials sold on Amazon are total junk. The camera might be OK but the rest isn't even worth the shipping charge.

I used to teach DSLR 101 classes and a lot of the people, students, go right to Amazon for their new pride and joy camera.  Lots of unpleasant stories, I could tell. The worse involve screw on adaptor lenses!  Return it, today.  Just my 2 cents and worth every penny.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements