cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just ordered a 5d4

ScottyP
Authority

The two big camera houses were in a pre-black-Friday price war and I finally couldn't resist. In 5-7 business days I will have the camera, a battery grip, an extra Canon battery, a Pixima printer, a couple reams of photo paper, a 64gig SD card. 

Now of course this forces me into a distasteful dilemma. I have Lightroom 5, and never upgraded to version 5.7.  I don't want to fiddle around with a separate RAW converter or TIFF files or anything. I either need to buy the soon-to-be-discontinued LR 6 stand-alone or else I need the stupid Adobe everything subscription just to rent Lightroom, since I don't use a single one of the other programs in their bundle. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
29 REPLIES 29

Ernie, they introduced a new product with the old name and the old product got another name.

Lightroom CC is now called Lightroom Classic CC

Lightroom Mobile is now called Lightroom CC

There’s also a version of “Lightroom CC” for use on desktop/laptop — but that’s not to be confused with “Lightroom Classic CC”

There were a lot of comments about their whole renaming and the confusion it created.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Oh, I did not understand correctly. Getting more common these days. Smiley Frustrated 

You didn't mean pros were avoiding LR altogether.  You just meant the new LR CC.  Yeah it is pretty much a waste of time.  But the new LR CC Classic is very good.  It has some good new features and it is way faster.  It will still be King of the Hill and rule the industry.  I just wish I needed it.  I don't !

Truth of the matter everybody compares to PS or LR.  No matter what they claim it always ends up with them saying, "It's almost as good as LR/PS."  "Does almost as much as LR/PS."  "I can do everything that LR/PS does except ...x..."

Now guys that 'hobby' at photography can get by with almost.  And they can say, "I don't rent software."  But when your job, your livelihood is on the line, you don't want the one that is almost as good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Scotty,

Congrats!  Good move.  You're like me, not afraid to buy Sigma or Tamron lenses.  I like Canon in the majority of cases, but there are some great lenses out there.

Try Canon DPP.  Its free.  I'm learning to work with it because I don't want to "rent" software either like Robert always says.

Smiley Happy 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

diverhank
Authority

Check into Luminar 2018.  From what I heard it's a replacement for both PS and LR.  There's a black Friday going on right now ($69)...I haven't used it (I'm sticking with Photoshop) but heard all good things about...you will get to keep of the Photoshop plugins you have (compatible with Luminar)

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Be forewarned, the Pixma Pro-100 is big and heavy.  It weighs in at over 40 pounds, and you need to allow for over an extra foot of space on the front side for the printed output.

Pro-100, 20 oz bottle, 17 inch Laptop

I use it as a temporary desk.  Seriously, it is a great printer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Be forewarned, the Pixma Pro-100 is big and heavy.  It weighs in at over 40 pounds, and you need to allow for over an extra foot of space on the front side for the printed output.

Pro-100, 20 oz bottle, 17 inch Laptop

I use it as a temporary desk.  Seriously, it is a great printer.

To be honest I was considering selling the printer on Craigslist. The crazy bundle deal threw in the printer and battery grip, memory card, battery, and paper and still at a lower price than was ever charged for the body alone from an authorized dealer.   I just ordered like 30+ prints from Adorama Pix, some of which were 5x7, and with shipping it was only 15 bucks. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

"To be honest I was considering selling the printer on Craigslist. The crazy bundle deal threw in the printer and battery grip, memory card, battery, and paper and still at a lower price than was ever charged for the body alone from an authorized dealer.  

I just ordered like 30+ prints from Adorama Pix, some of which were 5x7, and with shipping it was only 15 bucks."

I wound up my Pro-100 the same way, as part of a package deal.  The net cost of the printer was less than the ink to refill it.  I needed a second hand to move the large box that Canon uses to package the printer. If you do sell it, shipping it will be costly.

The printer produces really great prints, even at 13x19, which can fit 4 5x7 prints on a single sheet, or an 11x17 frame.  I bought a paper shear, so I can trim prints down to fit frames.  I can make my own gifts for people.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well Scotty you have just turned me green with envy.  Smiley Wink If I were to buy a new camera today it would be the 5D Mk IV.  What's not to love?

Software?  I hope you d/l the DxO Optics 11 for free?  Another solution is to get a copy of Photoshop CS6.  The last stand alone from Adobe.  It works seamlessly with either DxO Optics or DPP4.  CS6 (PS) has Bridge included for free.  Bridge does most all the file control, ratings, etc, that LR does.  Of course you can try to find a stand alone version of LR6. It has 5D4 support, but I am not sure it supports dual pixel.

Now one big reason to have CS6 is you also got the Pixma Pro 100 printer?  One fantastic printer.  I have had 6 Pixma large format printers. I am currently down to just one Pro 100.  The Pro 100 is one of the reasons I suggested you check into CS6.  Photoshop has more printer control, easier to get to than any of the other programs.  It makes printing and life much less frustrating. With the Pro 100 you will need to learn ICC profiles which work seamlessly with PS.  Mandatory you learn ICC profiles.

BTW, one more tip, have printing sessions in favore of a print here and a print there.  Each time you print, turn the machine off and back on, the Pro 100 mixes the ink and cleans the nozzles.  If you do a lot of single printing you will use a lot more ink. 

One more, the Pro 100 is not a general office printer.   Don't try to make it one.  It is a photo printer.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well Scotty you have just turned me green with envy.  Smiley Wink If I were to buy a new camera today it would be the 5D Mk IV.  What's not to love?

Software?  I hope you d/l the DxO Optics 11 for free?  Another solution is to get a copy of Photoshop CS6.  The last stand alone from Adobe.  It works seamlessly with either DxO Optics or DPP4.  CS6 (PS) has Bridge included for free.  Bridge does most all the file control, ratings, etc, that LR does.  Of course you can try to find a stand alone version of LR6. It has 5D4 support, but I am not sure it supports dual pixel.

Now one big reason to have CS6 is you also got the Pixma Pro 100 printer?  One fantastic printer.  I have had 6 Pixma large format printers. I am currently down to just one Pro 100.  The Pro 100 is one of the reasons I suggested you check into CS6.  Photoshop has more printer control, easier to get to than any of the other programs.  It makes printing and life much less frustrating. With the Pro 100 you will need to learn ICC profiles which work seamlessly with PS.  Mandatory you learn ICC profiles.

BTW, one more tip, have printing sessions in favore of a print here and a print there.  Each time you print, turn the machine off and back on, the Pro 100 mixes the ink and cleans the nozzles.  If you do a lot of single printing you will use a lot more ink. 

One more, the Pro 100 is not a general office printer.   Don't try to make it one.  It is a photo printer.

Hi Ernie,  How good are the prints?  I figure a place like one of the biggest print shops use a printer costing a couple hundred thousand dollars.  I've not printed images myself so I honestly don't know.  

Scott

Scotty,

You can't do this with the Pro-100....

" I just ordered like 30+ prints from Adorama Pix, some of which were 5x7, and with shipping it was only 15 bucks. "

The cost of most any print you make will be higher (could be much higher!) most likely.  The ink to fill it, when it comes time to do so is around $125 bucks.  The question really becomes, "Do you need a printer like this?"  In my case the answer is, yes.  In fact like I said the one I have now is my 6th.  Starting with the 9000 way back there.

Remember I sold my work.  I sold my prints.  I needed them when I needed them. I wanted total control over them. The amount of creativity is enormous.  Cost was/is almost secondary.

"How good are the prints?"

The prints can be as good to better than you can buy.  Depends on you not the Pro-100.  It can do it no doubt.

"I've not printed images myself so I honestly don't know."

This is how it goes if you are like most of us.  Pretty overwhelmed at first.  So-so prints at first.  Spending way too much money on paper and ink.  Then when things start to make sense, beautiful prints come out and the money doesn't matter as much.  Now the problem is finding enough wall space to hang all of them.  Making too many trips to Hobby Lobby buying frames!

I will guarantee you one thing, that first 13x19 will impress you!  The ability to have the print right now is a huge plus to me even now.

Last thought, the printer didn't cost you anything from what you said.  It isn't costing anything just sitting there provided you have the room for it.  Why not give it a try?  You got paper. You got ink.  You got LR.  Sounds like all you need to do is hit "Print".

EB
Announcements