cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got the Canon m50 with the kit lens

helloap
Apprentice

I mainly bought it for shooting stop motion and to learn some photography in manual mode. I haven't tried the other features yet. I haven't really messed with the features/settings yet, should I be changing any of them? Sometimes when my arm goes over the view finder the LCD turns off...how can I change this? I want to get my settings right before I leave for the weekend.

I am going to go on vacation soon and won't have any outlets to charge my battery. What can I buy to charge my battery? I will mostly be in my car or camping. Is it also bad to purchase third party batteries?

I have also heard lots of people recommending I purchase a ND/CPL filter is this necessary? I will be in the Redwoods on vacation. If i should get one, which one should i get?

I'm also hoping to pick up a new lens soon nifty fifty?

I think that's all the questions I have for now.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@helloap wrote:

I mainly bought it for shooting stop motion and to learn some photography in manual mode. I haven't tried the other features yet. I haven't really messed with the features/settings yet, should I be changing any of them? Sometimes when my arm goes over the view finder the LCD turns off...how can I change this? I want to get my settings right before I leave for the weekend.

I am going to go on vacation soon and won't have any outlets to charge my battery. What can I buy to charge my battery? I will mostly be in my car or camping. Is it also bad to purchase third party batteries?

I have also heard lots of people recommending I purchase a ND/CPL filter is this necessary? I will be in the Redwoods on vacation. If i should get one, which one should i get?

I'm also hoping to pick up a new lens soon nifty fifty?

I think that's all the questions I have for now.

Thanks!

If you have not downloaded the full user/instruction manual for the camera, then I suggest that you visit the Canon Support page for your camera.  It would be the same page where you downloaded software for the camera.

If you are not familiar with the basics of photography, then I suggest that you watch the series of videos linked in the first two posts in this recent thread that I created.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/td-p/269237z

[  Hey, I remembered to add the link this time, folks. }. Only use genuine Canon batteries. Always.  May the Canon battery with you.  Always.  Third party batteries do not perform nearly as well.  If you are traveling by car, then I suggest having at least one spare battery.  I bought mine from BHPhotoVideo dot com.  

If you are traveling in a car, then I would suggest buying a 12VDC to 120VAC adapter, so that you can recharge batteries in your car as you drive around. 

If you have the M50, I recommend the EF-M 22mm IS STM lens.  Sigma just recently announced several lenses for the EF-M mount, that look to have the potential to fill the holes in the Canon lineup, which have existed for several years.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I want to get my settings right before I leave for the weekend."

You need to read your manual, simple.

"I am going to go on vacation soon and won't have any outlets to charge my battery"

Just how long is the vacation?  Several Canon batteries should do the trick if you aren't talking 6 months or so.

"Is it also bad to purchase third party batteries?"

Yes!

"I purchase a ND/CPL filter is this necessary?"

The ND is a special purpose filter. It is something you need to learn how to use before you use it. A CPL or protecto filter is a good idea on an expensive lens.  It is a cost vs benefit proposition. It doesn't make a lot of sense to put a $50 protecto filter on a $100 lens. My choice brand for filters is B+W.

"I'm also hoping to pick up a new lens soon nifty fifty?"

It is a nice fast lens that's biggest feature is very low cost.  However, it's cost aside a 50mm lens is a limited use lens.  Even a hard to use lens.  It is something that if you need a 50mm lens, you need it. A zoom lens in the 18-55mm range is a far better choice.  Beside that lens includes the 50mm FL.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

i'm going to be gone for a week. I can't buy several batteries. Do you have any links for a car charger?

I know film photography. Just the new dslr is someting new.

@helloap wrote:
i'm going to be gone for a week. I can't buy several batteries. Do you have any links for a car charger?

I know film photography. Just the new dslr is someting new.

A 120 VAC adapter that runs on your cigarette lighter is a lot cheaper, and more versatile.  You used to be able to buy them at Radio Shack.  Unfortunately, they do not exist, anymore.

Try a web search for " 12v dc cigarette lighter to 120 vac adapter ".

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Auto parts stores all sell 12V DC to 120V AC inverters.
5DIV, 7DII, EF70-200/2.8 IS II, EF24-70/2.8, EF24-105/4, EF17-40/4, EF50/1.4, EF85/1.8, EF135/2
Announcements