cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jerky playback in computer with Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Corvalan
Contributor

I just shot a short clip of a subject on a white background to test my new Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.

I used the following settings:

Settings of Camera:

Quality: FHD, Frame Rate 24 fps, ALL-I

Shutter Speed: 1/50 sec

ISO: 800

Fstop: 5.6

In Camera Storage Device: Black Delkin Devices, 64 GB Compact Flash card, Speed UDMA7 with 160MB/S.

Computer Operating System: Windows 10 computer:

Computer: Alienware 51 R2

Processor: Intel Core i7-5820 3.3 GHz 6 cores, 12 logical processors

RAM: 16 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.

The video playback is beautiful, except when the subject filmed start moving.  The movement is very jerky, shoppy, stuttering, not good.

I have top of the line equipment (camera and computer) and I cannot get a decent recording.

What in the world I am doing bad?

15 REPLIES 15

Also, I imported the video to Adobe Premiere Pro and then exported has H624 (or something like that) with all settings at maximum, and the mp4 video is the same, very choppy.

How can anybody use this camera for shooting video?

Thanks.

The problem still exists in other computer with HDMI displays with much less resolution.

I think I found the problem.  It apparently is the compression method used by Canon on its EOS 5D Mark II to the Mark IV.

It is a problem with filming in a white background with no details.  It is not a problem of playback software as many EXPERTS have said.  I have try the playback of footage in many reputalble playback software and with many powerfull computers (Mac and Windows) to experience the exact problem.

I have filmed with Compact Flash Cards at 160 MB/S with 1/50 speed and 29.94 FPS as suggested by all experts. I also did it at 30 FPS, same result.

I will copy and paste the explanation I read from Bevan.  It is long, but if you have this problem (do a search and many many many people do have it), you will understand that is a problem with the Canon EOS 5D cameras, NOT YOUR FAULT!

"I recently shot some 5D video footage of actors on a white background.

The result was a fairly jerky video, especialy when there is lots of movement.

I have searched for this all over the web and have found loads of people with 'jerkiness' with pan and track shots using the 5D

Also people reporting 'jerky playback', mostly advice revolves around computer processing speed, CF card speeds etc.

Also people talking about panning speeds for progressive video.

I think I have found the exact answer for the jerkiness of the pans, track shots, and the movement on white which I experienced.

In order to achieve smooth movement in motion picture you need motion blur. Your shutter should always be open half the time and closed half the time, hence the standard 180 degree shutter angle in motion picture cameras - equating to a 1/50th second shutter speed for a 24 fps frame rate. (The shutter is open half the time)

The shots I did on white were done at 25 fps with a shutter speed of 1/50th of a second. Which should have produced smooth motion.

But instead there is a jitter, much like the jitter you see in select shots in 'Gladiator' cuased from narrow shutter angle (for photographers - fast shutter speed)

But this jitter I noticed was different, similar but different. Couldnt put my finger on it.

And then I saw, the movement in frame WAS blurring, the perfect ammount, BUT the edge of where the subject met the white background was not. That part of the blur (the important part) is lost to the .h246 compression.

ei: a man in suit walks into frame his tie, his belt, his ear, all blurring perfectly in proportion to his speed. But the very edge of him, where he meets the background - no motion blur... the compression ate that up.

Same camera, same settings, shooting outdoors in the woods. A mixed background, lots of detail, also a shot with same movement, same speed - Perfect blur at the edge of where subject meets background - the comprtession did not eat up the blur.

That, it seems is the answer to 100's of posts on this topic online. Though I am only 99% sure.

PLEASE if anyone has had similar problems with their canon 5D video, do some tests, alternate between very plain and very detailed busy backgrounds... (detail changes the way the compression averegares out data)

I would love to hear any feedback on this, becuase I see all over the web some people have a huge issue with this, others do not see it in thier footage at all. - I am guessing its purely subject matter that has cuased this. A canon 5D fail if you ask me.

If anyone is interested in getting to the real bottom of this issue that seems to be stumping many people out there, please reply to this post with your findings and opinions.

Thanks"

So, it appears that if you want to film with a white background (i have not yet try it with a green background, but might be the same problem), you better think twice before buying a Canon EOS 5D.

Ruben Corvalan

Bevan

It's always a heartening experience to watch a clueless newbie suddenly see the light and instantly become an expert.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am a clueless newbie indeed. That is why I used words as I THINK, APPARENTLY, IT APPEARS.

By the way, all the text between quotation marks is from an EXPERT.

I will still use my Canon EOS 5D M4 and M3 to film what I want, being very careful to move my body very very slowly.

@Corvalan wrote:

Well, that is a good question!

If my computer is actually using my powerfull video card for playback instead of (i assume) my CPU.

How can I know that?

I am using all these players and I have the same problem in all of them:

ACDSee 10, MPC-HC, Movies & TV (the prefered player for Windows 10), iTunes, QuickTime Player, VLC, and Windows Media Player.

Thanks for your help.

How do you know what applications are actually using the video card?  Why, you check the video card's configuration, of course.  If an application is using "graphics hardware acceleration", that might mean the mean the application is using your extended graphics hardware, but it could also mean that the application is using your the basic graphics chipset, too.  

This is why you need to check your graphics driver configuration, which, of course, is way beyond the scope of these forums.  I think I have told you enough to find out what you need to check and confirm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements