cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It seems I lost my buffer has this happend to you?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

In the post-Christmas sales I bought a brand new Canon 5D MkIV body and had put through only a few images - a couple of hundred max.   It was all going swimmingly until I used it to photograph an awards ceremony at the university where my partner works and was receiving a prize at.  Knowing it was available light only and would probably be quite dim I was using the 70-200 f2.8 MkII lens on the 5DIV as my primary kit.   Simply put, the buffer seems to have died... Smiley Sad

When I took a photo I got the wait... message for about 5-10 seconds while the card was being written to - that is an eternity when the Deputy Chancellor and your other half are trying to hold a frozen smile and everyone is wondering "WHY doesn't he take the shot?!!!"

I had 2 each of Sandisc Extreme CF cards and SD cards (class10), all formatted on the camera body.  I had two batteries, both new and fully charged. Having realized this was an issue early in the evening I tried switching cards, individually and as a pair, then I tried one card at a time, then I tried changing to just RAW then just JPG and nothing worked.  I tried reducing the image size to no significant effect.  To my knowledge there is no control to change the performance of the buffer (I was NOT using dual-pixel autofocus, I might add).

In the end I took the one shot with my 5DIV and used my back up camera, the Powershot G5X (chosen for its size and wider focal range) to get a second shot.

Very frustrating...

I have taken it to the shop and they have sent it to Canon to look at after asking me all the usual questions... Smiley Frustrated

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did you have digital lens optimiser on?

@kvbarkley wrote:

Good question, but no - in fact there was absolutely no change in the camera from my perspective compared to when the buffer was working perfectly.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Sometimes if you switch lenses remembers the last state. 

@kvbarkley wrote:

Sometimes if you switch lenses remembers the last state. 

Not sure how that would apply here...  Apart from the lens itself nothing had been changed since I got the camera.and configured it before I even took my first shots, which were fine.

cheers, TREVOR

@Tronhard wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Good question, but no - in fact there was absolutely no change in the camera from my perspective compared to when the buffer was working perfectly.

Last week my 5DSR and 24-70 f/2.8L II flew out of the bag I was so sure I did not unzip and took a spill on the hard floor when I slung the bag on my shoulders... :).  Normally the biggest culprit is the long exposure noise reduction filter.  You must make sure it is permanently turned off.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

@Tronhard wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Last week my 5DSR and 24-70 f/2.8L II flew out of the bag I was so sure I did not unzip and took a spill on the hard floor when I slung the bag on my shoulders... :).  Normally the biggest culprit is the long exposure noise reduction filter.  You must make sure it is permanently turned off.

Wow! Sorry to hear it. I hope you got lucky on the amount of damage. Were the objects in soft cases or just bare in the bag?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@diverhank wrote:

Wow! Sorry to hear it. I hope you got lucky on the amount of damage. Were the objects in soft cases or just bare in the bag?

Thanks Bob.  The camera and lens were mounted together -bare, no soft cases.  When they hit, the pieces were flying everywhere but after the "smoke" had cleared, only the lens cap, lens hood and the battery door went flying.  The only permanent damage seemed to be the battery door whose tip had broken off...everything else appears to be OK...The camera landed on the L-plate and that was the only ding visible.   I'm thankful Canon built these things like tanks...4 years or so ago, while walking with my Canon bag, the zipper worked itself loose and my Canon 7D mark II took a similar spill...same story...the camera still is working fine to this day.  Remind yourselves...do not buy my cameras used....ha ha. I actually will retire these 2...love them too much to sell.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

rooodis
Apprentice

it has happened to me twice. Both times I was in the middle of a shoot and the card filled up. The first time it happened, I hurried up, grabbed another memory card, opened the door, and threw in the other card. spotify apk premium

It wasn't until I got home and the last picture was missing that I realized what happened. The second time, it was the same situation, and as soon as I opened the door I realized "dang...it probably wasn't done writing".

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have taken it to the shop and they have sent it to Canon ..."

No big mystery. It broke.  It happens. That is why we have backup gear for such an emergency. When I was working full time I generally had four cameras with me. Now I only take two but they are both 1 series. and, not only bodies but backup lenses too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements