cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Worth it to Buy Canon EOS 1D Mark II for Wildlife Photography?

BitlifeAPP
Apprentice

Hey Everyone,

I am Planning a New Gear for Wildlife Photography and Short Movie Making.

And I have Canon EOS 1D Mark II and Nikon D5 in Mind I don't Know Which is one better for me.

If You have any Suggestion Then Let Me Know.

Thanks in Advance

14 REPLIES 14

@BitlifeAPP wrote:

Hey Everyone,

And I have Canon EOS 1D Mark II and Nikon D5 in Mind I don't Know Which is one better for me.

If You have any Suggestion Then Let Me Know.

Thanks in Advance

I'll probably get an argument from some quarters, but I wouldn't buy an antique like that for serious photography. My suggestion would have to be a 1Dx Mark II or a 5D Mark IV.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Charlie1173
Contributor
I'm sure I'll get beat up on here for saying it but.... For wildlife, I'd go with a crop sensor for the extra distance.

I'm thinking it's a 1Dx mark 2 that's being considered because of the Nikon mentioned.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have no interest in shooting video but if it is the 1Dx Mk 2 then this may help.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1614165/

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

John_SD
Whiz

@BitlifeAPP wrote:

Hey Everyone,

A camera for wildlife and "Short Movie Making"?

Frankly, I think that the Rebel T7I would be more than enough camera until you decide what you want to do. Best of luck. 

Charlie1173
Contributor
Agreed. I had the T7i. Solid camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...I have Canon EOS 1D Mark II and Nikon D5 in Mind I don't Know Which is one better for me."

I, too, am thinking you mistyped and really mean a 1Dx Mk II.  Not a 1D Mk II ?  If I am mistaken there is no way you want a 1D2 over a D5.  A 1D2 won't connect to any current computer so you will need to find an old one perhaps in a museum!

Back to reality, this is a Canon forum so of course you are going to get kudos for the 1Dx Mk II.  In fact the two cameras are virtually a match to one another.  One has a better 'this' and the other has a better 'that'.  But essentially they are pretty close.  I would buy the Canon every time just for the fact of lens line up.  Canon rules the lens world and that is a huge plus.

Lately Nikon has upped it lens game but lens for lens you will pay more for the Nikkor that performs no better, likely not as good, as its Canon counterpart.

"I am Planning a New Gear ... Short Movie Making."

Buy a real video camera!  These are stills cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I assume you mean 1Dx Mark II or a Nikon D5.You are in a Canon forum.  I think most of the replies will point to a Canon body.  

The camera specs that you would want for wildlife photography can be very different from the camera specs you would desire for movie making.  I feel that both bodies you mentioned are aimed mostly at the pro sports photographer.  Either body can do any task very well, though.  I think other factors should be considered before making a final choice of camera body.

The desired lens performance can vary just as widely as the camera specs.  I think Canon has better lenses than Nikon.  Not only do Canon lenses perform better, they are lest costly than the Nikon equivalents  Canon also makes professional video camera and broadcast quality lenses, while Nikon does not.  Canon lenses can be found everywhere, from scientific and medical equipment to EF mount security cameras.  

When I go out looking to shoot birds, I want as much focal length that I can get.  I do not have the budget for an 800mm prime lens, I buy lest costly zooms and use an APS-C sensor body, a 7D Mark II.  I suppose the Nikon equivalent would be a D500.  

I pair the 7D2 with an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.  I have a 1.4x extender, but it reduces the 7D2 to just one AF point, which acts pretty sluggish compared to without the extender.  The 80D would have 27 AF points with an extender, and none of the AF points take a performance hit.  I suspect the just released 90D performs just as well.  

The biggest drawback with using the 7D2 is that it focuses very well in bright light, but not so well in low light, where it also tends to get noisy with higher ISO.  For this reason, I leave the 7D2 at home ono overcast days, or for shooting Friday Night Lights.  I will bring a 6D2, which has the same excellent AF focusing system as the 80D.

As far as video goes, I would want to use a camera designed for capturing video.  Canon makes professional grade camcorders, which are popular for ENG applications.  Once again, this is a camera market where Nikon has no presence.  If you want a professional video camera with interchangeable lenses, then look at the Cinema EOS  line of cameras.  

I bought the entry level C100 a few years ago when the priced dropped with the release of the C100 Mark II.  It captures full HD video with C-Log, and include Dual Pixel AF.  It does the jobs that I need.  If you need 4K video, then take a look at the C200.  

All Cinema EOS include Canon’s C-Log, which is not available in the 1Dx Mark II.  The EOS 5D Mark IV has C-Log available as an option.  I have never heard of anyone making movies using Nikon gear.  Wedding videos, yes.  Cinema quality movies, never.

If I had to make a recommendation, I would suggest the 1D Mark II over the Nikon D5 for what you want to do.  Another option would be a 5D4 or Cinema EOS body for video, and a 7D2 or a 90D for wildlife photography.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

If I had to make a recommendation, I would suggest the 1D Mark II over the Nikon D5 for what you want to do.  Another option would be a 5D4 or Cinema EOS body for video, and a 7D2 or a 90D for wildlife photography.

Speaking of the 90D, Chris and Jordan of DPReview just posted a very good review of the 90D. While it is not without its flaws, I think the guys were suitably impressed. Definitely worth a look.

Announcements