cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with grain and WB with brand new Mark IV

emmaclark02
Contributor
Hi all,

I just took my new Mark IV out of the box last week and I’m already having issues that I didn’t have with my Mark III.

I have images taken between 800 - 1000 ISO and the grain is pretty bad. The grain is nowhere near this bad at those ISO settings on my Mark III.

Also, it almost seems like there is a strange coloring on the photos taken on my Mark IV. I did a shoot last night using both cameras and the photos from my Mark III look like how you’d see them in real life but the same photos taken on my Mark IV almost looks like it has a dark greenish filter on it. It’s on auto white balance (what I always shoot with) so I cannot figure out what the issue is. I really just want to enjoy this crazy expensive purchase without this many issues - please let me know any and all thoughts!
10 REPLIES 10

Peter
Authority
Authority
Raw samples?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I agree, we need examples.

But first do a factory reset right now.  Menus, tools, clear all settings and also all custom settings.

Now keep in mind in order to compare two cameras you must have shot the samples exactly the same.  You can't take a shot from last year and now one today and positively say this has more grain.  It might because that's the conditions it saw today.

Do a side by side comparison at exactly the same thing, same time and same settings.  Do that factory reset first on both cameras. If you now see a problem and you bought from a good retailer, return it for a replacement camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I own both bodies and don't have this issue.  But it's possible there is some difference in settings that you hadn't noticed.  Is this a standard 5D IV (i.e. this isn't a boody with Canon-Log installed?)

This is why you're reading suggestions to factory reset the camera body.

The RAW images (complete with all the meta-data) will help work out if there actually was some difference in settings that accounts for what you are seeing.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

emmaclark02
Contributor
Hi All! I tried uploaded the RAW photos but they are too large- any suggestions?

Take a screenshot of a portion of the image and send that as a JPEG.

@emmaclark02 wrote:
Hi All! I tried uploaded the RAW photos but they are too large- any suggestions?

Upload to a filehost like Google Drive or Dropbox.

emmaclark02
Contributor

Hi All, 

Here are the examples!

I reset both camera to factory settings and these are the RAW images.

Both were shot at 2.8, ISO 200 and 1/640. The top image is from the Mark III. Bottom is from Mark IV.

I may be crazy but I'm really hoping it's just the display that is making the photos look yellow becuase now, they don't look TOO off from each other... I still prefer the image produced by the Mark III though...

Please let me know your thoughts. Mark III.png

Mark IV.png

Thank you for the help!

"Both were shot at 2.8, ISO 200 and 1/640."

Same lens?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

emmaclark02
Contributor
Both were shot on the same lens!
Announcements