cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with M50 crashing

anthroposcenery
Apprentice

So I have the canon m50 and I love it, but I'm already thinking of upgrading after having it for less than a year. I wanted to discuss the issues I've been having to see if anyone has had similar experiences or has any tips.

Probably a lot of the issues come down the the environment I am using it in. It's a tropical island so lots of heat, humidity, and salty air. I had way fewer crashes when I lived in a more moderate climate.

I'm here doing some filming and photography and unfortunately I am missing too much having to pop the battery in and back out, take the lenses on and off, etc, to try to get the camera to work. Some of what I am doing is more photojournalistic and when I miss something, I don't always get the chance to try again.

It's crashing most often when I have on EF lenses using an adapter, both with my 50mm and my 70-200mm. One of the ways it seems to crash is when I move quickly and the adapter shifts or strains. Another issue, is that the touch screen regularly becomes unresponsive when trying to move auto focus points, or where i touch the screen is way off from where the point shows up. Again, lost shots because I cant get the AF on. I've been more and more often just using manual focus for that reason.

I don't know if anyone might have tips or has dealt with similar because if it would just be more reliable I love the camera and it seems like a huge leap to upgrade to a much more expensive and larger full-frame camera. Especially because I bought a few EF-M lenses, lots of batteries, and some other accessories specifically for m50 like the small-rig.

2 REPLIES 2

lly3988
Rising Star
Which adapter do you use ? Some cheap low end adapter will cause the problem.

Try rotate the adapter and lense to lock them properly to avoid bad contact.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@anthroposcenery wrote:

It's crashing most often when I have on EF lenses using an adapter, both with my 50mm and my 70-200mm. One of the ways it seems to crash is when I move quickly and the adapter shifts or strains. Another issue, is that the touch screen regularly becomes unresponsive when trying to move auto focus points, or where i touch the screen is way off from where the point shows up. Again, lost shots because I cant get the AF on. I've been more and more often just using manual focus for that reason.

That is your problem.  You are not holding your camera properly.  You could be damaging it by doing so, too.

When you use an EF lens adapter you need to support the weight of the lens!  Every EF lens adapter that I have seen has a tripod foot.  This tripod should be where you support the camera/adapter/lens combos.  The weight of any 70-200mm creates WAY, WAY too much torque to allow to hang from the lens EF-M lens mount.  

Look at the size and weight of EF-M lenses.  Not only are they lighter, they are also much shorter than EF lenses, and the adapter makes them even longer.  This creates a lot of stress and strain on the lens mount.

[EDIT]. I have an M3 I use mostly for street photography.  I currently use the EF-M 22mm nearly all the time.  The only EF lenses that I ever used on it were the two pancake lenses, 24mm and 40mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements