Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Issues with 70d video. Video Brightness changing during shoot, camera not in auto

LED 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Issues with 70d video. Video Brightness changing during shoot, camera not in auto

I just looked at a bunch of clips to see if the DOF changed. From what I can tell it doest appear to be affecting the dof at all. That actually made sence to me as being a possibility, but it doesnt seem to be so. I could see the heat being an issue but this is in an air conditioned house shooting video. I have seen these cameras shoot outside in the dirrect sun for hours without issue. I mean just about an sports photographer propably has a hotter camera than me haha but again that could very well be the issue, def not discounting it. 

VIP

Try testing it at a different frame rate.  That would rule out flicker.  The fact that it only happens on a complete clip is very suspicious.  What is different about the “bad” clips compared to the “good” clips?

Again, if you are as dependent upon your camera as you say, buy a backup.  I suggest the 80D in the Canon Refurbished Store.  They are having a big sale this weekend.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-eos-80d-ef-s-18-55-ef-s-55-250-is-stm-bundle

A two lens kit for less than the cost of a body alone!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Waddizzle wrote:

Try testing it at a different frame rate.  That would rule out flicker.  The fact that it only happens on a complete clip is very suspicious.  What is different about the “bad” clips compared to the “good” clips?

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-eos-80d-ef-s-18-55-ef-s-55-250-is-stm-bundle

A two lens kit for less than the cost of a body alone!

That's where I was going with this but Waddizzle beat me to it. I think it caught his eye as well as mine when we saw 30fps and 60hz AC power. Try shooting 24 or 25fps and see if there's any improvement. I don't think you want the fps and hz to be the same or an even multiple where they can sychronize. If the shutter opening synchs with when the LEDs light output is the brightest it may slightly over expose the shot. If the shutter opening occurs when the light output is less it's going to slightly underexpose the frame.

LED lighting can be a source of color shifts and other strange behavior even for still photography. And even though they don't flicker as noticeably as flourescent lamps, the effect is still there. This link to B+H Photo should help to explain the effect you might be seeing.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/flicker-free-lights-and-why-they-are-i...

And that's a pretty sweet deal for that 80D refurb kit. That would be hard to pass up if my 60D wasn't still plugging away like new.