cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with 5D Mark iii

Angelasue
Apprentice

Really hoping someone can Help! I have had my Mark iii for a little over a year and have hardly been able to use it for work due to the way it picks up these massive reflections off of every single white surface (table linens, a piece of paper, the brides dress, a tiny white bracelet, ETC. - they all cast this hazy, white reflective light). I have been searching for a way to fix this, and am really hoping that it is something obvious that I am just missing. Before I bought the Mark iii I was shooting with two mark ii's and did not have this issue with either of them. I have also found that even after having my lenses calibrated, I end up with lots of very soft focused images. I have been shooting for eyars and have never run into these issue, so I am frustrated and perplexed. Help!

17 REPLIES 17

"Something tells me you'd be wrong."

I fear not!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well I really don't know how much experience the afore mentioned commentators have had in African-American weddings but I suspect it is little to none. ...

Something tells me you'd be wrong.

The only thing he is right was I don't shoot weddings.  The 5DIII can easily handle the DR difference...that's a load of you know what.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"...that's a load of you know what."

Yes sir you got that correct.

EB

"The biggest problem with any dark skinned person and a white dress is the DR is beyond what the camera can do."

When he refers to DR, he is referring to Dynamic Range, or the amount of contrast in the photo. 

I think your issue is related to the high contrast nature of the shot, too.  Different metering modes in High Dynamic Range shots produce different results.  Full power, direct flash on the subject can turn an ordinary photo into a High Dyamic Range shot, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Full power, direct flash on the subject can turn an ordinary photo into a High Dyamic Range shot ..."

Absolutely.  Direct flash in this case and mostly must be avoided.  The shot has to have mostly correct settings in the camera but this shot will only be made in post.

EB

Thanks all for the input. I really appreciate your time.

I should add that the included "example" photo was shot in RAW, had not yet been edited or corrected at all in either photoshop or lightroom, and actually was not with direct flash. Flash was bouncing backwards of the tent wall behind me. (I suspect it was at about 1/4 power, as it's almost never set to full power. Cant quite remember), But either way, this problem with white's giving off that relfective, glowy haze happens without flash too, with every type of skin tone, and all my lenses. I posted that specific photo just to demonstrate the probelm because it is SO obviouse with the flash (and because the shot was a bit over exposed). I saw on the back of my camera how bad it was (because the issue is evident immediately, before I do any out of camera port-processing). As with almost every time i shoot, I got  frustrated with the hazey whites, switch back over to my mark ii using almost identitcal setting, and have no issue. When I screw up and over expose a photo, I expect to lose detail in the highlights, but this white haze is a totally new to me!

I know the mark iii is amazing, I've shot with other photographers' models, and didn't run into anything like this. Is it possible that is an actual hardware issue with mine?

Thank you for those of you that offered some good suggestions! I will definately play with some different metering modes, and see if adjusting the auto lighting optimizer and the peripheral illumination correction helps at all. Thank you, thank you for the input!

@Angelasue wrote:

Thanks all for the input. I really appreciate your time.

I should add that the included "example" photo was shot in RAW, had not yet been edited or corrected at all in either photoshop or lightroom, and actually was not with direct flash. Flash was bouncing backwards of the tent wall behind me. (I suspect it was at about 1/4 power, as it's almost never set to full power. Cant quite remember), But either way, this problem with white's giving off that relfective, glowy haze happens without flash too, with every type of skin tone, and all my lenses. I posted that specific photo just to demonstrate the probelm because it is SO obviouse with the flash (and because the shot was a bit over exposed). I saw on the back of my camera how bad it was (because the issue is evident immediately, before I do any out of camera port-processing). As with almost every time i shoot, I got  frustrated with the hazey whites, switch back over to my mark ii using almost identitcal setting, and have no issue. When I screw up and over expose a photo, I expect to lose detail in the highlights, but this white haze is a totally new to me!

I know the mark iii is amazing, I've shot with other photographers' models, and didn't run into anything like this. Is it possible that is an actual hardware issue with mine?

Thank you for those of you that offered some good suggestions! I will definately play with some different metering modes, and see if adjusting the auto lighting optimizer and the peripheral illumination correction helps at all. Thank you, thank you for the input!

If you see the problem under virtually all circumstances when the shot has white content like that, then let Canon Service check it out.  You could have a defective camera. 

Considering how many 5D3 uses are out there not experiencing your issue, I would lean towards your camera's performance being the exception, not the rule. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... if adjusting the auto lighting optimizer and the peripheral illumination correction helps ..."

It won't and neither will changing exposure modes.  These suggestions are just grasping at straws.  If it makes you feel better reinstall the firmware.  There may be and update but a call to Canon Service just might be necessary.  Piece of mind anyway.

BTW, that photo is totally salvageable.  It sure looks like direct flash.  What flash do you use? "... it was at about 1/4 power, as it's almost never set to full power."  You also might check that setting to make sure.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements