cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with canon 18-55mm lens

Atlantag1912
Contributor

Hello,

i don't know if this is the right place so i apologise if it isn't.

I have a canon 1100D and have since i was 14 (i'm 22 now). I've never had an issue with the camera or anything till monday of this week, the canon 18-55mm lens won't allow to take any photos and this just happened out of no where. I was able to use it no bother last week and there was no isses but no it just won't work. I do have Tamron 70-300mm lens but i also got that the same time i got the camera and i don't have any issues with that lens what so ever.

I really hope someone can help as i need this smaller lens for a uni assignment as i have a photography studio booked for tuesday.

thank you in advance

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sounds like the lens isn't communicating with the camera. If the lens can't tell the camera it’s in focus shutter won’t actuate. 

This lens can develop a failure of the internal ribbon cable. 

What happens if you switch lens to MF position. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

after posting this i tried mf and it worked than back to af which also worked again

Great. Switch might have gotten knocked out of position. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

oh how? just so i know for next time

@Atlantag1912 wrote:

oh how? just so i know for next time

Another possibility is that you inadvertently tried to manually focus the lens while it was in AF mode. In older versions of the 18-55 (which yours apparently is) that can jam the AF motor and possibly result in permanent damage. There's a rather brutal procedure that's used in such cases that sometimes cures the problem and sometimes doesn't. It's possible that you got lucky and that switching to MF and turning the ring a couple of times unjammed the motor and solved the problem.

If that was the issue (or even if it wasn't), be careful not to try to manually focus the lens while it's set to AF. If the AF motor jams and the "brutal Procedure" doesn't fix it, the lens isn't worth the cost of professional repair.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ok, but doubt that was the reason why as i don't like mf so always use af never even attmept to use mf in any form

Announcements